The foundation of the former parish church goes right back to the year 1000. Its complete width of 34 metres is only surpassed by the Minsters of Basel and Berne, in Switzerland.Die baroque stuccoed ceiling in the main nave was made by Johann Jakob Schärer in 1733. The carrying of the Cross fresco on the west wall next to the organ was made in about 1500 and the background displays the oldest and most well-known (partial) view of Schaffhausen.The newly renovated church, St. Johann's, was consecrated in 1990. It is used as a venue for concerts, such as for the Bach Theme Festivals.
The content presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.