Steeped in tradition, the International au Lac has been in family hands since 1906 and is the only lakeshore hotel in the historic centre of Lugano to have its own parking garage, garden and swimming pool. It had the honorary title "Historic Hotel" bestowed on it by the ICOMOS jury of UNESCO in 2007 and is now a listed building. Although it has consistently modernized in line with the changing needs of its guests, it has forfeited none of its old world charm.
In 1883, Rudolf von Salis-Muralt commissioned the famous architect Nicolaus Hartmann to transform this 1590 farmhouse into a stately patrician villa. Since 1982, the Chesa Salis has been a hotel with the charm of a private home. Meter thick walls radiate warmth and aristocratic generosity. 18 comfortable guest rooms bear witness of old-world craftsmanship. In the comfortable lounges, guests enjoy culinary delights and regional specialties.
Special Commendation, 2001: "For the contemporary architectural interpretation of an historic building and for the re-establishment of its role as a public place within the town's social structure".