The Roman Mosaics of Orbe consist of eight magnificent mosaic floors that decorated a Gallic-Roman estate dating back to the year 170. The mosaics give the visitor an inkling of the enormous wealth of the lord of the manor and gentleman farmer, whose villa had more than 100 rooms.
The free Walsers settled in the Calfeisen Valley as early as the 14th Century. The church of St. Martin was first mentioned in the annals of 1432.
This museum is dedicated to Brother Klaus (Nicholas of Flüe, 1417-1487), father and hermit, farmer and visionary, politician and mystic, and Switzerland's only saint.