On Wilhelm Tell's traces

On Wilhelm Tell's traces

Who was the real Wilhelm Tell? Follow the trail of the Swiss national hero and freedom fighter.more

Celtic-Roman Settlement in the Enge near Bern

Celtic-Roman Settlement in the Enge...

Archeological walk with information panels about the character, age and importance of the Celtic and Roman settlement and excavations (combined with a didactic forest trail). The Enge peninsula north of the city of Bern has been known for more...more

On the trail of history in the Simplon region

On the trail of...

On the trail of history in the Simplon regionmore

From the Romans to Botta

From the Romans...

The Bishop’s Castle (“Bischofsschloss”) with its glass dome designed by...more

On Wilhelm Tell's traces

Who was the real Wilhelm Tell? Follow the trail of the Swiss national hero and freedom fighter.

Who was the real Wilhelm Tell? Follow the trail of the Swiss national hero and freedom fighter to find out, in the historic landscapes around the southern shores of Lake Lucerne: at Rütli, the birthplace of the nation; at the Schillerstein rock; the Tell Chapel, the Tell Monument and the Tell Museum.

Celtic-Roman Settlement in the Enge near Bern

Archeological walk with information panels about the character, age and importance of the Celtic and Roman settlement and excavations (combined with a didactic forest trail). The Enge peninsula north of the city of Bern has been known for more than 200 years as a discovery site of Roman artifacts.

Archeological walk with information panels about the character, age and importance of the Celtic and Roman settlement and excavations (combined with a didactic forest trail).

On the trail of history in the Simplon region

On the trail of history in the Simplon region

Simplon Pass was an important Pass Crossing connecting the Valais to Northern Italy as early as the Middle Age. The renowned merchant Kaspar von Stockalper used the route for his transactions, as did Napoleon later on. The region of the Simplon offers hikers an incredible mountain panorama and an impressive alpine flora. Alpine roses as far as the eye can see...

From the Romans to Botta

The Bishop’s Castle (“Bischofsschloss”) with its glass dome designed by Mario Botta towers in solitary splendour over the valley floor. The castle, which was first mentioned in a document dating from 1254, was the summer residence for bishops, and a gaol and torture chamber for scoundrels and criminals.

The Romans called it Leuca Fortis – “strong Leuk” – and until the 19th century this was one of the ecclesiastical and cultural centres of the Valais. Defiant towers, castles and fine patrician houses bear witness to the former strength, self-confidence and determination of the community. The emblematic Bishop’s Castle (built 1254), town hall, late-gothic St. Stephen’s Church (with its romanesque tower and roman fi replace) and baroque Ringacker Chapel can be seen for miles around.