The Romans called it Leuca Fortis – “strong Leuk” – and until the 19th century this was one of the ecclesiastical and cultural centres of the Valais. Defiant towers, castles and fine patrician houses bear witness to the former strength, self-confidence and determination of the community. The emblematic Bishop’s Castle (built 1254), town hall, late-gothic St. Stephen’s Church (with its romanesque tower and roman fi replace) and baroque Ringacker Chapel can be seen for miles around.
The choir walls of this church, built in around 1480, are covered by a cycle of wall paintings – now fully restored.
The castle ruins are the landmark of Ardez.
Ittingen Charterhouse, a former Carthusian monastery with more than 850 years of history, is one of the most important cultural sites in the region.