Schwyz - Swiss History

Schwyz - Swiss History

Schwyz as the capital of the eponymous canton and the source of Switzerland's name is steeped in myths. The Old Town and the local museums mirror the history of the Confederation. According to legend, the city was founded by two Alemannic brothers. more

Zürich Oberland: Industrial theme trail

Zürich Oberland: Industrial theme trail

An interesting Swiss teaching trail is found right at the doorstep of Zürich.more

From the Romans to Botta

From the Romans...

The Bishop’s Castle (“Bischofsschloss”) with its glass dome designed by...more

Napoleon Museum

Napoleon Museum

The last emperor of France lived high above Lake Constance, in the...more

Schwyz - Swiss History

Schwyz as the capital of the eponymous canton and the source of Switzerland's name is steeped in myths. The Old Town and the local museums mirror the history of the Confederation. According to legend, the city was founded by two Alemannic brothers.

Schwyz as the capital of the eponymous canton and the source of Switzerland's name is steeped in myths. The Old Town and the local museums mirror the history of the Confederation. According to legend, the city was founded by two Alemannic brothers.

Schwyz - Swiss History
Zoom map

Zürich Oberland: Industrial theme trail

An interesting Swiss teaching trail is found right at the doorstep of Zürich.

An interesting Swiss teaching trail is found right at the doorstep of Zürich. The "Industrial Trail Zürich Oberland" leads on a 30-kilometer tour (hiking the tour in several stages is easily done) - past a plethora of industrial plants from the early stages of industrialization, including the recently opened Textile Machinery Museum in Neuthal.

Zürich Oberland: Industrial theme trail
Zoom map

From the Romans to Botta

The Bishop’s Castle (“Bischofsschloss”) with its glass dome designed by Mario Botta towers in solitary splendour over the valley floor. The castle, which was first mentioned in a document dating from 1254, was the summer residence for bishops, and a gaol and torture chamber for scoundrels and criminals.

The Romans called it Leuca Fortis – “strong Leuk” – and until the 19th century this was one of the ecclesiastical and cultural centres of the Valais. Defiant towers, castles and fine patrician houses bear witness to the former strength, self-confidence and determination of the community. The emblematic Bishop’s Castle (built 1254), town hall, late-gothic St. Stephen’s Church (with its romanesque tower and roman fi replace) and baroque Ringacker Chapel can be seen for miles around.

From the Romans to Botta
Zoom map

Napoleon Museum

The last emperor of France lived high above Lake Constance, in the middle of a large park, in a tastefully furnished castle. Today's Napoleon Museum contains the original furnishings. The park has recently been restored.

The last emperor of France lived high above Lake Constance, in the middle of a large park, in a tastefully furnished castle. Today's Napoleon Museum contains the original furnishings. The park has recently been restored.

Napoleon Museum
Zoom map