Nicholas of Flüe built this house in Schibloch-Matte on the road to Ranft. He lived here with his family before becoming a hermit in 1467.
The house stayed within the family until the beginning of the 19th century, but it suffered from clumsy renovations. Since the end of the 19th century, the house has been in the hands of the Catholic parishes of cantons Freiburg and Obwalden. Before Brother Klaus was made a saint, the house was properly restored in 1946. Its interior was styled using images found in the chronicles of Diebold Schilling.
In the meadow next to the house, Pope John Paul II celebrated a Mass here as part of his 1984 trip to Switzerland. Eleven thousand worshippers attended, and the living room served as the sacristy. Today the room displays a plaque with a blessing from the Pope.
May to September: 09:30-11:30 and 13:30-17:30
April and October: 10:00-11:30 and 14:00-16:00
Closed November to March
The content presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.