The little town has much to offer by way of old and new: The world-famous Tell monument still reminds us of the story of Switzerland’s origin. The reputation of the multifaceted, traditional cultural offerings, ranging from the Tell play to the modern music festifal "Alpentöne" (Alpine Sounds), has spread far beyond Uri’s borders. The Eggberge sun-terrace (1,400 meters above sea level), which is part of Altdorf, is a sought-after excursion destination in summer as well as in winter.
The hiking and bicycling paradise around Altdorf has something for everyone: Hikers embark on one of the numerous mountain tours, conquer the peaks and discover the luscious green Alps. Many Alpine farms invite hikers to partake of food and drink. Many enjoy a glass of fresh mountain milk or the famous Uri Alpine Cheese. The magnificent views and the bracing mountain air are free of charge!
In winter the Eggberge beckon to visitors to enjoy the sunshine and stay awhile. The winter paradise high above Lace Lucerne is an ideal starting point for winter hikes and snowshoe tours. This small family-friendly ski area offers magnificent views over the lake, and the scenic mountains guarantee a cozy skiing experience for adults and children alike.
- Schächentaler Mountain Trail – Hiking with spectacular views high above the Schächen Valley.
- Eggberge – sun-drenched terrace at 1,400 meters above sea level.
- Cultural tour – interesting guided tour through the small town of Altdorf.
- Tell Monument – a tribute to the Swiss national hero.
- Tonart Festival (“Tonality Festival”) – a soaring musical experience (March).
- Folk Music Festival – a comprehensive overview of the Swiss folk music scene (May).
- The Tell Festival – theater performances dedicated to the national hero and the myth of Switzerland’s origin (June-August).
- Alpine Sounds – modern music festival in Altdorf (August).