The Swiss like straight lines, but this scenic journey is anything but. The ride in the RegioExpress Lötschberger from Bern to Brig does not head through the Lötschberg Base Tunnel, but over a mountain route more than a century old. From Brig, it’s just a short hop to Domodossola, where the Centovalli Railway chugs on to Locarno.
On the approximately 50 km narrow gauge line, there is plenty to see and admire – around 83 bridges and viaducts, light-dappled chestnut forests and vines heavy with Ticinese Merlot grapes. This wine is best tasted on one of the many walks that thread through the region. Cheers!
FactsRoute: Bern–Brig–Domodossola (Italy)–Locarno
Distance: 212 km
Duration: 4 h 40 min
- Bern’s Old Town (UNESCO World Heritage property) – don’t miss a stroll through the arcades, one of the longest covered shopping miles in the world
- Niesen – scale the pyramid-shaped peak on foot or by funicular
- Stockalpers Palace, Brig – the landmark of Upper Valais
- Intragna – the main village in the Centovalli impresses with its 80-m-high railway viaduct and Ticino’s highest church tower
- Verzasca Valley – jade-green water, polished cliffs and boulders, and the highlight of the double-arched Roman bridge in Lavertezzo
Dining & WiningNo catering facilities (between Bern-Brig)
TimetableAll connections on www.sbb.ch
ReservationNo seat reservations – free choice of seats.
Seat reservations may be made until 15.00 the day before. Reservations cost CHF 5.00 per person