Inspite of its political and economic significance and its traditional cosmopolitan atmosphere Samedan has retained its Engadine art of living. In the village center tradition-rich rows of houses with their Sgraffito offer good photo opportunites and subjects for picture postcards. For the culturally inclined, the village has exciting highlights, especially the renovated church tower “La Tuor”. The Planta House surprises people with its museum for living culture. With the Rhaeto-Romanic library and its many books it ensures that Engadine’s culture remains a living part of the present.
Samedan is a mecca for glider pilots. Modern trails delight biking enthusiasts. In front of the gates of Samedan the 18-hole golf course makes golfers’ hearts beat faster, and in the midst of the historic village center one can bathe on four storeys – from the ground floor to the roof. Not to be missed: the majestic view of the Upper Engadine Lake District from one of the most spectacular panoramic mountains – Muottas Muragl.
The pistes around the Survih Skilift attract families. Thanks to well-built train and bus connections the rest of the ski areas of the region are easily and quickly reached. The cross-country skiing center is recommended for excursions on idyllic cross-country ski runs. On Muottas Muragl one can undertake superb winter hikes on the Philosophers’ Trail and slide down the toboggan run on fast skids. Europe’s highest lying airport is the starting point for spectacular roundtrip flights in the Engadine mountain world.
- Old St. Peter Parish Church: Romanesque tower, around 1200, chancel from 1491, Gothic aisle from 1492
- Ref. Parish Church in the square: built in 1771, trapezium shaped aisle, tower restored in 1966 and 1999 and described as the most exquisite in Graubünden
- Plantahaus (The Planta House): Manor house of the Salis family (northern part around 1600, extension of southern part around 1760). The Plantahaus is now owned by the Fundaziun de Planta Samedan and has a valuable Romanesque library.
- Tower Block (Surtour) of the former Lords of Samedan was built after 1110 and later served as a prison with built-in cells.
- Out of the Blue’s Festival. On that weekend Samedan turns into a “New Orleans of the Alps” (January)
- Women’s Races – 17-km traditional women’s cross-country skiing race from Samedan to S-chanf (March)