Visp is a shopping and leisure destination. Besides the farmers' market (Pürumärt) held every Friday evening, the weekly and flea markets, the spring exhibitions at the Visp indoor ice rink, the car-free and attractive Bahnhofstrasse with a wide variety of shops and inviting garden terraces, and the “La Poste” cultural and conference centre with regular performances and events, visitors can also enjoy a tour of the pretty old town of Visp with its many historic buildings.
Visp offers plenty of attractive leisure opportunities. The well preserved old town with its eventful history is one of Visp's greatest assets, as is “La Poste”, a theatre that has offered a mixed programme of guest performances every season since November 1991, including concerts, opera, operetta, ballet, plays and musicals by visiting companies as well as local societies and organisations. The spectacular hike along the Visperi irrigation channel (Suone) is another inviting option.
The tourist region in the heart of Upper Valais is also the perfect place during the cold season. Excellent winter sports are guaranteed: the ski resorts of Eischoll, Unterbäch, Bürchen/Törbel, Visperterminen and Gspon carry visitors up to heights of 2,500 metres above sea level, where they will find around 20 sports facilities. Skiers, carvers and snowboarders as well as cross-country skiers, winter hikers, snowshoe walkers and sun worshippers all get their money's worth in these skiing areas.
- Old town of Visp – Visp is the centre of the region and has a pretty little town centre.
- Ice hockey tradition – EHC Visp and many other clubs make Visp a sporting town.
- LaPoste cultural centre – Visp is regarded as the cultural capital of Upper Valais.
- Jazz-Chälli – live jazz performances.
- Staldbach Velodrome – the only cycle circuit of its kind in Switzerland.
- Visperi irrigation channel hike – walk along one of the Valais' most spectacular waterways, just fifteen minutes from the NEAT railway station.
- Pürumärt – local produce for sale and a popular Friday night rendezvous for young and old (every Friday).
- Visp Summer Party – Swiss National Day in the “Lonza town” (31 July).
- Visper Brisolée – a Valais tradition on the Kaufplatz (October).
- Visp Weihnachten – Christmas market (December).