The small, modern winter sports centre of Thyon, with its many holiday apartments, enjoys a beautiful panorama of the Bernese, Valais and Vaud (Waadtland) Alps, dominated by the 4000 metre peaks of the world-famous Matterhorn and the majestic Dent Blanche.
While the holiday region of Thyon is most popular in the winter season, summer guests also enjoy the fresh alpine air, the peace and quiet in summer, the vast hiking area and the exciting mountain bike routes. Two descents begin at the top station of the Etherolla chair lift, connecting up in Thyon with a third which takes bikers from Thyon to Les Collons.
Like in many places in the Valais, here too you can walk with no great differences in altitude along the "Suonen", the irrigation channels that were built hundreds of years ago. For a change, you can also try riding, keep-fit, climbing, bowling, paragliding or hang-gliding. The Rhone valley with the Sierre/Salgesch wine-growing region is within easy reach for excursions.
Thyon forms the eastern gateway to one of the largest continuous skiing areas in the Alps: the "Four Valleys" (including the resorts of Thyon, Veysonnaz, Nendaz, La Tzoumaz and Verbier) offers a total of over 90 lifts and 400 km of pistes. The Thyon area alone has over 10 lifts. Most of the accommodation can be reached directly from the slopes, or it is close to the lifts. From December to April, you are guaranteed to be able to ski down into the village. Winter walkers will find several kilometres of cleared winter footpaths as well as routes for snow-shoe walking and dog-sledge rides.
Thyon is ideal for family holidays. The severely restricted traffic (Thyon is even entirely traffic-free), a children's ski school and the wide range of holiday apartments make these resorts particularly family-friendly.
- Suonen – these are ancient irrigation channels, which run along the contours of the land, generally with no great differences in altitude, making for very pleasant walks.
- Sion – visit the capital of the Valais during your holiday, for a cultural excursion, a shopping trip or a gourmet meal out.
- Underground lake near St-Léonard – from March to November, there are boat trips on Europe's largest underground lake, which is situated between Sion and Sierre.
- The pyramids of Euseigne – the village of Euseigne, where the valley divides into the Val d'Hérens and the Val d'Hérémence, has unusual rock formations, created by natural erosion and visible from far away.
- Grande Dixence dam in the Val d'Hérémence - at 285 metres high, the highest dam in the world. Daily guided tours inside the dam wall.
- Cow processions and cow fights – the combative Eringer (Hérens) cows of the Valais fight for the title of "Queen" (end of June / beginning of July).
- Thyon 2000 Odyssey Music Festival: on the 1st Saturday of September, come and share a good musical moment with family or friends, and that more than 2100 meters high! Various artists and local groups occur on two scenes built for the occasion on the set of Thyon 2000. This gathering is meant to be friendly and dynamic, so you are cordially invited to come and experience this with us!
- Grand Raid Cristalp – considered to be the longest and toughest mountain bike race in the world, covering a distance of over 131 km and 4600 metres of difference in altitude, from Verbier via Veysonnaz, Hérémence and Evolène to Grimentz (August).