The village of Stoos is set in a delightful alpine landscape at the foot of the Fronalpstock mountain, on a sunny alpine plateau of the same name at about 1300 m. Stoos is reached by funicular railway via Schlattli (from Schwyz on the road to Muotathal) or from Morschach by cable-car. The little village, with its hotels, holiday apartments and group accommodation is an ideal holiday destination for families.
Fronalpstock (1,922 meters) is the local mountain that can be reached on foot or with one of the cable cars. From this imposing viewpoint (where there is overnight accommodation), there is an impressive panoramic view of ten lakes, down to Brunnen and over to the Rütli, Pilatus, Rigi, Säntis, the high Alps and the central lowlands as far as the Jura.
Summer visitors will find attractive routes for hiking, strolling and climbing among varied alpine flora and fauna. The marshland at 1,300 meters above sea level is an ideal excursion destination where visitors can find plenty of excitement and expand their knowledge of moors. On the way you can enjoy tasty specialities from local alpine cheese-makers at the two inns in Laui and Tröligen. There are four marked Nordic Walking Trails of varying degrees of difficulty to encourage followers of this fashionable sport.
You can discover the diversity of Central Switzerland by taking a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, a walk along the “Swiss Path”, an excursion to the Swiss Holiday Park in Morschach or to the zoo at Goldau.
Klingenstock-Fronalpstock Ridge Walk
(a demanding walk - only suitable for sure footed hikers with a good head for heights)
Go up the Fronalpstock by mountain railway or by ascent from Stoos via Welesch, Bödmeren and Oberfeld. Then proceed along this beautiful ridge walk via Furggeli, Huserstock, Nollen and Rot Turm to the Klingenstock. Continue by foot or by rail from Klingenstock back to Stoos. Walking time is 4-5 hours. (Excluding ascents and descents 2-3 hours)
The winter sport region around the Fronalpstock and Klingenstock mountains offers eight lifts and 35 km of slopes as well as a fun park. The little ones can learn how to ski in the snow sport school. Cross-country skiing enthusiasts will enjoy the 10 km of trails surrounding the village of Stoos. A 2 km long downhill run is available for sledding and air boarding. As a matter of course, there are numerous groomed winter hiking and snowshoe trails.
- Come by funicular railway Schwyz-Schlattli-Stoos – the journey on Europe’s steepest funicular railway is an adventure in itself.
- The high alpine footpaths from the Fronalpstock have some of the finest views anywhere – as does the route over to the Klingenstock, which takes several hours, or the newly marked Summit Circular Route.
- Hölloch karst caves in Muotathal – at about 190 km, the longest cave in Europe and the fifth largest cave system in the world. Can only be visited by guided tour.
- Swiss Holiday Park in Morschach – combines a vast range of accommodation and a conference centre with a huge Wellness & Spa Oasis and a sports and adventure park.
- Themed walks in Morschach – the Chapels and Panorama Trails, woodland park with playground, BBQ places and viewing points and access to the "Swiss Path".
- Lake Lucerne – historic steamers and launches invite you to discover the landscape from the water.
- Stoosschwinget – this festival, first held in 1921, is the first of a series of alpine Swiss wrestling festivals, with a small wrestling ground for spectators and fantastic panoramic views (June).
- Bathtub Race & Stoos Chessletä – among lots of fun and cheer, carnival begins with the ringing of bells (January)
- Firn Snow Festival - a festive atmosphere and excitement is a given at the best-known Alpine Hut Festival at the end of the season on the Stoos Mountain. A real insider tip (March).
- Fronalpstock live – exciting, fun-filled evenings! This is what a select audience can expect in the summer on the Stoos Mountain above Schwyz (June to September).
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Stoos