“The most charming place…“ It is true. Even in the past, many people raved about Weggis: above all, the American author and travel writer Mark Twain. In 1897 he wrote that Weggis was the “loveliest place” he had ever visited.
The climate in Weggis is extremely mild and the resort usually benefits from many sunny days. On certain days, the presence of the ‘föhn’, a warm down wind, leads to particularly clear views across Lake Lucerne. The Rigi, thanks to its position embedded between the Zugersee, Lauerzersee and Lake Lucerne, offers outstanding views and is a popular walking region.
Before mountain rail- and cableways were constructed on the Rigi, Weggis was already an important starting point for sedan chair bearers who carried their affluent guests up to the summit from here. Since the construction of a panoramic cableway from Weggis to Rigi Kaltbad, this has been the fastest way to ascend the «Queen of the mountains» from Lucerne. By this route, it takes just under 10 minutes to reach the vista-rich resort of Rigi Kaltbad at 1450 metres above sea level from the lakeshore. Still part of the parish area of Weggis, Rigi Kaltbad is the villagey centre of the island of sunshine and holiday experiences that is the Rigi. From Rigi Kaltbad, a rack railway leads further up to Rigi-Kulm.
The magnificent, historic paddlewheel steamers and comfortable saloon motor vessels of the Lake Lucerne Shipping Company regularly pull in at Weggis on their routes. The most popular excursion destinations in central Switzerland can be reached by ship: for example, Bürgenstock, Pilatus, Klewenalp and Stanserhorn, and naturally also Lucerne.
Weggis is a quiet, leisurely resort in the winter. High above the inland lake, the Rigi with its four ski lifts, 9 km of ski and snowboard pistes, «Pinocchio» children’s area, 7 km of toboggan runs, 35 km of prepared winter walking trails and 14 km of cross-country ski trails is just the place at which to pursue winter sports activities. The Klewenalp, on the opposing lakeside to Weggis, with its ski school, crèche, winter walking trails, evening skiing and tobogganing by moonlight on snow-assured pistes of up to 2000 metres, offers winter sports in all its manifestations. For skiers, a day’s outing to the large ski area on the Titlis near Engelberg is also recommended.
Lucerne and the Lake Lucerne region offer everything you could possibly want in terms of wellness and active or passive recreation. The wellness hotels of the Weggis Vitznau Rigi region boast a professional infrastructure, top-notch personal service and a wide range of health and wellness activities to meet and exceed your expectations: classic wellness, smart aging, medical wellness, medical check-ups and more. In addition, a breath-taking landscape of lakes and mountains offers exciting excursions and countless possibilities for exercise, ranging from leisurely walks to sportive challenges. Enjoy relaxation for body and soul in this unique natural landscape. Our natural wellbeing factors include Alpine lakes, fresh mountain air and pure nature. Culinary delights in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere complete the offering — wellness at its finest in the areas of relaxation, nutrition and exercise. Discover the pleasantly mild and almost mediterranean climate of Lucerne’s Riviera. Recharge your batteries at the heart of Switzerland.
- Rigi – it is called the «Queen of mountains» and ranks among the most popular excursion destinations in Switzerland. From Weggis, the Rigi is easily accessible using the cableway.
- Lake Lucerne – historic paddlewheel steamers and saloon motor vessels invite guests to discover the landscape from onboard ship.
- Bürgenstock – wonderful views across Lake Lucerne, sometimes even to Weggis, can be enjoyed from the magnificent, car-free peninsula at 1200 metres above sea level.
- Lucerne – a 45 minute cruise separates Weggis from the lively, central Swiss metropolis of Lucerne, an excursion destination that is well worth seeing, with a beguiling range of shopping attractions
- Mark Twain Trail - the 12-kilometer theme trail leads from Weggis to Rigi Kulm.
- Rose Festival – first held in 1926, the Rose Festival has developed into a summer festival by the lake from what was originally a ball festival. A lively mix of a festival, food stalls and entertainment (July).
- Heirassa Festival – Today Heirassa has become a cult! Celebrate the work of the magnificent composer Alois “Heirassa” Schilliger with us for three days. Over 30 concerts with the best folk music await you (June).
- Riviera Latina Festival – open-air festival at the lake boardwalk in Weggis with exciting highlights from Latin America (Pentecost)
- China Festival: Encounters with China from a cultural, culinary and economic perspective (January/February)