Altstätten is town and country rolled into one as it has a range of cultural attractions and numerous shopping opportunities and is surrounded by the largesse of Mother Nature herself. Altstätten owes its vibrancy to its many local clubs and societies and to customs such as the annual carnival festivities and markets.
Altstätten makes a good starting point for countless hikes and thanks to the many SchweizMobil routes, the surrounding country can be explored by bike, mountain bike or on inline skates.
Being very near to the mountains of the Appenzellerland, Altstätten is no less pretty in winter. If the snow cover allows, there is skiing and tobogganing on Mt. Stoss.
- Old town – the historical town centre with its quaint little streets is a pleasant place to stroll and thanks to the arcades a great place to shop as well.
- A market town in the Rhine Valley – in addition to the weekly farmers’ market held every Thursday, several special markets are held throughout the year.
- Hiking trails in and around Altstätten – discover Altstätten on seven clearly marked hiking trails.
- Cog railway – enjoy the ride in an open panorama car between Altstätten and Gais.
- Schollenmühle – a visit to the information centre in a former peat-digging area and what is now a nature reserve of national importance is always worthwhile, no matter what time of year it is.
- Fasnacht – Altstätten is famous for its annual carnival festivities, the Altstätter Fasnacht. For as long as the “fifth season” is in progress, normal life in Altstätten is put on hold. From so-called Dirty Thursday to Shrove Tuesday, the various Fasnacht clubs and bands lay on one colourful parade after another, to say nothing of polonaises, masked balls, and other forms of entertainment (February/March).
- August Market – the largest of Altstätten’s annual markets is the Augschta-Markt or August Market, when the picturesque town plays host to countless booths offering a range of wares as well as a fun fair and music until well into the night. The traditional cattle market is held on the Breite (August).