The hiking paradise in Appenzeller Land begins in the gently rolling hills at Lake Constance and stretches across verdant pastures to the pre-alpine Säntis Massif. Wellness and well-being are not just buzz words here. Various hotels and spa buildings are equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and welcome visitors.
This the most typically Swiss of all cantons, where traditions are alive and well, enchants visitors with its authentic customs and excellent gastronomy and cuisine. Enjoy our superb quality of life: unadulterated and spiced with good-natured humor.
You will never find noisy and over-crowded pistes in Appenzeller Land. The hills of this pre-alpine landscape and the mighty Mt. Alpstein present a snow-white winter wonderland.
This is the region that gladdens the heart of snowshoe hikers, ski trekkers, winter hikers and cross-country skiers. And our youngest guests swish on their sleds down into the valley on one of the numerous toboggan runs. Our exquisite skiing areas are small enough to keep skiers in sight and are well maintained with easy to negotiate pistes, especially for families and beginners. A winter hike through snow-covered forests, past delightful and lovingly decorated cottages is a fascinating experience.
Our region offers a plethora of winter landscapes, events and activities you will always cherish in your memory. Take your time to relish these wonderful experiences.
- Appenzell cheese dairy in Stein – look over the shoulders of the cheesemaker.
- Unterrechstein therapeutic baths – relax in the new outdoor pool of the Unterrechstein spa resort.
- Museums – immerse yourself in culture in the museums of Appenzeller Land.
- Customs and traditions – experience first hand our local customs and traditional craftsmanship.
- Winter hiking – in a fairy-tale landscape at the foot of the Säntis.
- Tobogganing – fast toboggan runs.
- Natural Moor Spa in Gonten – escape winter for a moment with a fango treatment.