Roses decorate the coat of arms of the town of Rapperswil-Jona located on the upper end of Lake Zurich, and all types and colours of this gorgeous flower bloom in Rapperswil’s public areas and three rose gardens. Rapperswil-Jona has a well-developed tourist infrastructure and as the region's transport hub is easily accessible by public transport.
The castle towers above the town and lake and is the landmark. The castle hill affords a panorama view from the Glarus Alps all the way to the Zurich Oberland. Several churches, chapels and monasteries bears testimony to the past. The medieval old town with very little traffic - a protected historic monument, the lake promenade and varied excursion possibilities make Rapperswil particularly suitable for families with children.
In addition to the lake dam for road and rail, a new wooden bridge for pedestrians - probably not unlike in the past - provides access to the other side of the lake. This wooden bridge also happens to be the longest wooden bridge in Switzerland. And Rapperswil is also an embarkation point for the regular ship services on Lake Zurich, including two authentic paddle steamers, to Zurich.
The area around Lake Zurich in addition to a wealth of beautiful scenery offers a whole range of fun and experience opportunities. Knie's Children's Zoo and the Circus Museum are a particular attraction for children and circus fans. The animals at the children's zoo can be stroked and there are also elephant rides on offer.
In summer a 700-metre-long summer toboggan run on the nearby Atzmännig is great for some family fun. In winter there is a ski region suitable for families with easy ski pistes. On the other side of the lake, Pfäffikon with the Alpamare fun and experience baths featuring a wide range of water slides and wellness treatments is well worth visiting. Einsiedeln, the most important place of pilgrimage in Switzerland with a famous monastery, is accessible in 30 minutes.
- Rapperswil Old Town and rose gardens – dreamy lanes and bustling squares; more than 15,000 roses of 600 varieties bloom from June to October.
- Castle and castle hill – the castle towers above the lake and is the landmark of Rapperswil; panoramic view from the Säntis to the Zurich Oberland.
- Knie's Children's Zoo – created on the site of the Knie Circus's winter quarters; get close to more than 300 animals.
- Circus Museum – precious costumes, posters, props, videos and information about the circus's history.
- Alpamare – Europe's biggest covered water park with 1,500 metres of slides in nearby Pfäffikon by Lake Zurich.
- Blues’n’jazz festival – annual open-air happening in the old town of Rapperswil (June/July).
- Nighttime festival by the lake – huge, three-yearly event attracting about 150'000 spectators (August).
- Rapperswil-Jona Christmas Market – Christmas spirit on the main square in Market Lane (Marktgasse), at the lakeshore and at the Fish Market Square (December).