The two cog railways from Vitznau (Europe’s first cog railway back in 1871) and Goldau, together with the panorama cable car from Weggis, make the journey up the mountain alone a truly unforgettable experience.
Covering around 90 km2, this car-free holiday and recreation area with 120 km of well signposted hiking trails is perfect for walks and mountain hikes. The magnificent Alpine flora and unique views of the lakes and mountains will delight every hiker. Guests can watch incomparable sunrises on the Rigi and linger on the sun terraces of many hotels and restaurants. There are also rustic-style covered barbecue sites (“Gruebis”) for a cosy picnic from your rucksack.
In winter, the view of the vast sea of fog becomes a unique experience. 35 km of groomed winter hiking trails, four toboggan runs and ski pistes offer everything for the perfect winter's day. There are also three signposted snowshoe trails from Rigi Kulm. Other facilities include ski and snowboard courses, night skiing and tobogganing, guided snowshoe tours, the “Pinocchio” kids' play areas on Rigi First, Rigi Staffel, Rigi Scheidegg, Rigi Burggeist and Seebodenalp as well as a natural ice rink. Winter on the Rigi – experience the magic of nature in its most romantic form.
- Sunrise Rides – every Sunday from June to September, visitors enjoy sunrise cable car rides from Goldau to Rigi Kulm. Experience a magnificent sunrise (accompanied by the moving sounds of the Alphorn) at Rigi Kulm. A delicious breakfast on Rigi Staffel concludes the experience.
- Nostalgic steam show – presented of Sundays in July and August with history steeped Rigi-rail locomotives that take you up the steep mountain climb.
- Dinner in a floating restaurant – every Saturday from July to September, the panoramic aerial cable car Weggis – Rigi Kaltbad is transformed into a romantic floating restaurant. Enjoy an unforgettable adventure at a lofty height, surrounded by a breathtaking panorama.
- Wrestling and Mountain Festival – the wrestlers, alpine farmers and dairymen celebrate a traditional festival on the Rigi. Local wrestlers compete and test their strength in magnificent natural surroundings. Besides wrestling, other alpine games such as rock throwing, finger wrestling (“Hägglen“), pole climbing and racing take place.
- Rigi Dixie and Swing Weekend – on three days a handful of exquisite bands will set the mood with eclectic music for your listening pleasure. The evening jam sessions are legendary.