These twin towns have much to offer, including an impressive view of the chain of mountain peaks from the Matterhorn to Mont Blanc and a particularly wide programme of activities all year round.
Idyllic mountain village or alpine town? Crans-Montana embodies both and combines all the comforts of a modern holiday resort with an expansive natural landscape and panoramic views of the Valais Alps. The modern side of Crans-Montana offers the most extensive alpine shopping for miles around. It also boasts a renowned cultural and congress centre; and a wide range of accommodation. As a venue for major sporting events, and with a reputation as a golfing Mecca, Crans-Montana draws visitors from all over the world. Commune with nature in this family-friendly resort, where you can enjoy five swimming lakes; walks through aromatic mountain forests along an extensive network of footpaths; and cosy fondue evenings in rustic inns.
In addition to well-known sports like hiking, tennis and squash, Crans-Montana has facilities for canyoning, mountain climbing, water skiing and paragliding. The attractive skiing areas of the Plaine Morte glacier plateau are also ideal for summer hiking. Particular summer favourites are the five swimming lakes right next to the village.
Crans-Montana has a long golfing tradition. The 18-hole Severiano Ballesteros Golf Course with its breath-taking views is situated on the high plateau of Crans. The international elite meet here every year for golfing tournaments.
The ski slopes stretch from the high plateau up to the Plaine Morte Glacier at 3000 m. Directly beyond the edge of the forest the pistes are broad and open, ideal for beginners and deep-snow skiers. Advanced skiers will take the chairlift to La Toula to find a really challenging descent. Particularly popular are the broad carving pistes and the valley descent down the Piste Nationale which, at 12 km, is the longest in the region.
In Winter the golf courses become a paradise for cross-country skiers and hikers. In addition to classic cross-country ski trails, there is also an extra piste especially for skaters.
Again and again the whistling of the marmot can be heard: You can visit “Bibi”, the mascot, in the exciting Fun Park, which always has great vacations ideas. Excursions in the adventure forest, mini golf, treasure hunts, games at the mountain beach and canoeing. Snow tubing, sledding, and trampoline jumping are on the program in the winter months.
- Golf: the 18-hole Severiano Ballesteros and 9-hole Jack Nicklaus golf courses offer panoramic views from the Matterhorn to Mont Blanc.
- Shopping: Crans and Montana comprise the most extensive alpine shoppers’ paradise for miles around.
- Plaine Morte: this huge glacier stretching for 10 square kilometres at an altitude of 3000 m is also a major attraction in summer.
- Sierra: the town with the most hours of sunshine in Switzerland is a popular nearby excursion with its beautiful old quarter and museums. A funicular railway links Montana with Sierre.
- Grottensee near St-Léonard: there are boat trips across this underground lake between Sion and Sierre from March to November.
- Mountain Bike - The Mountain Bike offering in Crans Montana boasts 117 km of marked pistes, two downhill runs and the Kona- Bikepark.
- Omega European Masters: the international golfing elite compete in the second biggest tournament in Europe (September).