Arbon is right on the Lake Constance cycle path, which circumnavigates the third largest inland lake in Central Europe. Lake dwellers, living in houses on piles, had already settled here and two of the Arbon lakeside villages on piles have been included in the "Prehistoric Pile Dwellings around the Alps" UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2011. Some of the most important original finds are on display in the Arbon Castle Historic Museum. The remnants of the "Arbor Felix" castle in the present-day castle grounds are evidence from Roman times, but the former industrial town of Arbon has also been shaped by more recent history. Restored, roadworthy vehicles from the renowned Arbon manufacturer Saurer from between 1911 and 1980 are on display at the Saurer Museum.
A variety of markets, concerts and festivals take place throughout the year on Fischmarktplatz [Fish Market Square] in the charming old town. The long lakeside promenade leads through a distinctive avenue of chestnuts to beautiful park areas with a large children's play area, lido and concert pavilion and to harbour facilities with pedalo and boat hire, from which you can be taken out onto Lake Constance on the "White Fleet" boat trips. The Seepark Hall right on the lakeside is available for big events.
A well-developed network of hiking routes leads along the shores of Lake Constance and continues into the villages in the surrounding area. Arbon is right on the cycle route around Lake Constance. Many cycle routes inland also run through "Mostindien" [Cider India]. Skating on the well-made paths and in an inline skating track.
You can get to a multitude of ski areas in the Appenzell region and Toggenburg in just one hour. The winter atmosphere on beautiful Lake Constance is unique. Gastronomy, museums and art galleries make winter stays in Arbon a great experience.
- Boat trips on Lake Constance
- Hiking routes along the lakeshore and in the surrounding area
- Cycle tours on the lakeside and in the surrounding area
- Saurer museum with classic cars and textile machines
- Historic Museum in the castle
- Mosterei Möhl AG's juice bottling museum
- Art galleries
- "Arbon Classics" classic car exhibition (every two years / May)
- Seenachtsfest [Lake Night Festival] with fireworks (July)
- Arbon open air cinema right on the lake (July/August)
- Lake Constance SlowUp (August)
- SummerDays Festival (August)