The Ursern valley (canton Uri) at the foot of the Gotthard Pass is one of the most impressive upland valleys in Switzerland. Andermatt (1444 m) lies at the heart of Switzerland’s Alpine passes, and is the largest of the three villages in the valley; it's at the crossroads of the mountain passes from north to south and from east to west.The variety of tour options with the eight surrounding Alpine passes is unique worldwide.
Switzerland is considered the water tower of Europe - and in the holiday region of Andermatt you stand right in the middle. Four water sources spring from the Gotthard massif, namely the Rhine, Reuss, Ticino and Rhone, which carry seven percent of the alpine water in all four directions. The four-source path, an attractive and varied hike in five stages, connects the sources.
A stunning nature with countless mountain lakes, small glaciers, impressive side valleys and very different mountain passes wait to be discovered here.
The Gotthard region is furthermore characterized by its cultural diversity and its well-documented history. Traces of this turbulent history can be found in the architecture, in the valley museum or in the legendary Schöllenen Gorge with the notorious Devil's Bridge, once established by the people as gateway from north to south over the mighty Gotthard.
For railway fans, Andermatt is an ideal place for taking a break or an excursion. From Göschenen station on the Gotthard line, the rack-and-pinion Schöllenenbahn climbs steeply up to Andermatt, where it meets the east-west route across the Alps of the Matterhorn-Gotthard line (with the Glacier Express), going towards either Valais or Grisons. Alternatively you can travel from Realp on the nostalgic "Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke". You have to book in advance for an exclusive nostalgia ride over the Gotthard Pass on a traditional post coach, drawn by a five-horse team.
The Andermatt holiday region is one of the most snow-sure ski resorts in Switzerland. Here, the diverse skiing areas of the Skiarena Andermatt-Sedrun offer a healthy mix with varying degrees of altitude and levels of difficulty. Freeriders and lovers of steep-slope descents fall for the Gemsstock, while recreational skiers and families find themselves in their element at the Nätschen and Sedrun resorts.
Well-signposted snowshoe trails and various winter hiking trails add to the long list of possible winter adventures too, not forgetting three different toboggan runs for rapid fun! And last but not least, cross-country skiers find 28 km of Classic & Skating trails in the Urserntal valley and another 12 km in Sedrun.
- Alpine passes Tour by postal bus, oldtimer, car, racing bike or E-Bike – experience the most beautiful passes of central Switzerland in one day: Furkapass, Gotthardpass, Oberalppass, Sustenpass, Nufenenpass, Grimselpass, Lukmanierpass, Klausenpass.
- Gemsstock – incredible panoramic views from the summit over the heart of Switzerland and about 600 Alpine peaks.
- Schöllenenschlucht – a gorge, which legend has it that a bridge could only be built across with the aid of the devil. Right beside, there is the Suworow memorial, a huge stone cross cut into the cliff face in memory of the Russian soldiers who fell in 1799.
- Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke – nostalgic rack-and-pinion steam railway (only runs in summer) between Realp and Oberwald (Valais), with stops on Furka and in Gletsch.
- 9-hole Golf Course Gotthard Realp – one of the most alpine golf courses in the world and 18-hole Golf Course in Andermatt.
- Museum Sasso San Gottardo – deep inside the mountain you spy the once top secret Artillery Fortress of the Swiss Army, long a secret until just a few years ago. You also have the opportunity to admire the unique giant crystals found on the Planggenstock.
- Museums – the Ursern Valley Museum is housed in a beautiful building in Andermatt. While the history of the Gotthard Pass is documented in the Gotthard Museum at the top of the pass.
- „World of Water“ – discover path – a 60 km long themed walk in the Göscheneralp valley, with 90 stopping points with information about water as an element.
- Ski, Snowboard and Snowshoe – for everyone something, beginners to Freerider will find their own experience.
- Ski-tour area with endless scopet – and being a snow-sure location, right up to summer too.
- Zumdörfli – "Switzerland's smallest village" between Hospental and Realp
- Christmas Market – Andermatt Christmas market with local and regional products. Nostalgic children's roundabout and musical entertainment (last Saturday in November).
- Freestyle Event – snowboarders, skiers, motorcyclists and snowbikers demonstrate their skills on the giant jumping hill, with bars and music around the event area near Nätschen valley station (February).
- AndermattLive! – This event combines the worlds of music and snow: snowsports enthusiasts can enjoy two days of concerts and après-ski entertainment (March).
- SwissChamer MusicCircle – professional Easter festival with concerts by prizewinners in Andermatt's St. Peter & Paul church. (9 days starting on Good Friday).
- Andermatt «Schlager» Days – in the heart of Switzerland, celebrate for three days with «Schlager» pop music stars. Schlager parade through Andermatt, VW bus round-up, Schlager brunch and kids' adventure day (September).
- Woldmanndli (Men of the Forest Festival) – on village fair Saturday, a procession of sackcloth-clad figures descends from Gurschner Forest to the village, accompanied by cowbells and goat-horns. (October).