City guide Winterthur
The pedestrian zone in the charming Old Town is considered to be Switzerland’s largest. Venerable mansions in and around the Marktgasse, the City Church, the Fisher Maiden’s Fountain and the famous Town Hall Passage are great attractions.
Culture has a long tradition in Winterthur. The city boasts 17 museums, including the Oskar Reinhart collection “Am Römerholz” with its masterpieces of European art from the 14th to the 20th century. This tradition continues with the internationally renowned Centre for Photography, the Casino Theater, which has become a centre of the German-language cabaret scene, and the Swiss Science Center Technorama, which makes technology and science an accessible experience.
The extremely diverse cultural agenda also comprises a series of festivals – Afro-Pfingsten, the International Short Film Festival and the Winterthurer Musikfestwochen festival as well as the performances by the Winterthurer Musikkollegium. With the city’s regular fare of exhibitions, films, concerts, readings and theatre – it is clear that Winterthur’s residents are well catered for when it comes to matters cultural.
Despite its industrial tradition, Winterthur is also a "garden city" with a large number of parks and gardens. There is even a city tour dedicated to "Villas and Gardens". The city’s delightful environs are home to castles and fortresses set in the woods, in the wine country, and on the Töss and Rhine rivers, and to which the locals have long felt a special relationship. Winterthur is also an ideal base for excursions to the Rhine Falls, Lake Constance and to the nearby metropolis of Zurich.
With its outstanding art collections and monuments, its lively Old Town and its energetic music and comedy scene, Winterthur offers a seductive blend of big-city grandeur and a small-town closeness to nature.
- Swiss Science Center Technorama - Swiss Science Center Technorama here the curious can experiment to their heart's content at more than 500 interactive science and technology stations
- Centre for Photography - the European centre of excellence with over 30,000 originals by world-famous photographers
- Oskar Reinhart Collection "Am Römerholz" - Reinharts large private villa houses European paintings from five centuries
- Art Museum - exhibitions devoted to modern art from Picasso to Klee
- Casino Theater - a centre of the German-language cabaret scene
- Sulzerareal - Europes's largest hall for trend sports, also venue for large events, such as musicals etc.
- Winterthurer Fasnacht (Carnival) (February/March)
- Afro-Pfingsten Festival (May/June)
- Albanifest (June)
- Winterthurer Musikfestwochen (August)
- Jungkunst (October)
- International Short Film Festival (November)
- Christmas Market (December)
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Winterthur