The first wooden tower built on the Bachtel in 1873 was destroyed by a storm in 1890. In 1893 it was replaced by a steel lattice tower which was removed in 1985 because it was not suitable as an aerial mast. It was reconstructed on the Pfannenstiel where it still stands today. An information panel with the names and outlines of the mountains visible from the Bachtel tower was installed on the viewing platform. In good weather the views range from Bachtel mountain to the north all the way to the Black Forest.