The village is characterised by the imposing monastery and the collegiate church. There are still about 30 monks living and working here today. The Mountain of Angels as the founders of the Benedictine monastery called the place in 1120 is a popular excursion destination for people travelling from nearby Lucerne: the journey to Engelberg by road or narrow-gauge railway can take as little as one hour.
The Titlis is the highest glacier excursion destination and biggest ski and snowboard paradise in Central Switzerland. The Titlis and its glacier park are accessible by revolving rotair cableway. At an altitude of 3020 metres above sea level visitors are treated to a fabulous view of the central Alps.
Fürenalp (1,850 meters above sea level), Brunni (1,875 meters) and, naturally, Mt. Titlis (3,020 meters) offer something for everyone. For instance, a ride on the Ice-Flyer or Snowtubing in the Slide Park on the Titlis. Among the other excursion destinations are the Kneipp Trail around the Härzlisee Lake on the Brunni, the water adventure park on the Ristis or the toboggan run. Fürenalp – far from all hustle and bustle – is ideal for nature lovers. A network of over 360 kilometers of hiking and walking trails invite young and old alike to discover the natural beauty of Engelberg.
In winter Engelberg enchants visitors with its white winter wonderland. The long winter begins as early as October and lasts until mid-May. The most exciting snowsport paradise of Central Switzerland can be enjoyed, for example, on a fast descent on one of the ski pistes, which extend for 82 kilometers. The longest descent of the Alps, measuring 12 kilometers, is found here. Fun-filled sledding parties, 30 kilometers of cross-country tracks, and 14 winterhiking trails round out the comprehensive range of offerings.
In Engelberg, families enjoy the benefits of the "Families Welcome" quality label which guarantees facilities catering for families specifically. The summer tobogganing run and exotic petting zoo with lamas are just two examples of the wealth of experiences on offer for children.
- Engelberg Monastery - the biggest church organ in Switzerland, collegiate library and exhibition cheese diary are the most important attractions of the monastery.
- Titlis and Rotair cableway - highest glacier excursion destination and biggest ski and snowboard paradise in Central Switzerland, accessible by rotating cablecar.
- Four-lake-tour - magnificent tour from mirror-smooth Lake Trüb to deep blue Lake Engstlen, on to turquoise Lake Tannen all the way to picturesque Lake Melch.
- Brunni Trail - 12 information boards provide vivid information about nature and life of humans and animals in the mountains.
- Rowing-boat rentals on the Trübsee lake.
- Alpen-Schlagerfestival (Alpine Pop Song Festival) - Festival and talent competition for future pop starlets (August/September) in one
- FIS world cup ski jumping in Engelberg. - The only world cup ski jumping event of the season in Switzerland is held in Engelberg.
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Engelberg - Titlis
DR SHAFQAT KHATTAK
Switzerland is switzerlad, I had three visits from Ireland with family and now I am in Australia and we are planing again. We do not want to go to other country for holidays.
Great hiking, beautiful blue mountain lake. Excited to try the winter season this time
Can you please let me know how many kilometres by road is Engleberg from Zurich international airport? And please let me have the detailed driving directions - which are the best roads to get there?. I see that it is NOT directly accessible from the A2?
I used to study as an overseas student in Engelberg for almost 2 years. I love Engelberg so much that I am now going back again after all these years with my husband for our honeymoon! I am so exciting about our upcoming trip in Sept and hope to re-visit Hotel Europe and Hotel Bellevue at where my Uni used to locate.
Hi Vijayalaxmi, did you take a guided tour or went by yourselves. We are planning to Mt Titlis in August
Just back from a tour of europe with my hubby and son. Mount Titlis was what I liked best. Hope to be back some day again!
Just arrived in Engelberg, SWZ. The valley is loaded with low lying clouds and steady drizzle is falling. Regardless, the location is beautiful and looking quite dramatic with the in & out weather. Looking forward to meeting some locals and getting to know the trail system. Let the summer fun begin!