The Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn region as a landscape of exceptional beauty has been included in the list of UNESCO Natural World Heritage Sites. The majestic Aletsch Glacier which is 23 kilometres long is the biggest and most powerful glacier in the Alps consisting of 27 billion metric tonnes of ice.
The holiday resort of Riederalp offers an impressive panorama view of the 4000-metre-high peaks of the Valais Alps, including the Matterhorn and Dom. Awarded the "Families Welcome" quality certificate, Riederalp operates a hire service for children's articles as well as children's activity programme. Golfers will find the highest 9-hole golf course in Europe in the middle of the village.
In summer, Riederalp and the neighbouring holiday resorts of Belalp, Bettmeralp and Fiescheralp form an attractive hiking area round the Aletsch Glacier. At the Alpine Museum in the historic Alpine hut "Nagulschbalmu" dating from 1606 visitors are immersed in the lives of mountain farmers in past centuries.
The Villa Cassel, an information centre of the "Pro Natura" nature preservation organisation, is located in the middle of the mountain countryside around the Aletsch Forest nature preserve and the Big Aletsch Glacier. This centre provides friends of nature with extensive information about the fantastic natural space. The Villa Cassel also provides stylish accommodation and in the past even counted Winston Churchill among its guests. And an Alpine garden with over 300 plant species has been created at the Villa Cassel.
The Aletsch ski region consisting of the three areas Riederalp, Bettmeralp and Fiescheralp and equipped with 35 lifts and pistes catering for various abilities in total is big enough to accommodate skiers and snowboarders. At Riederalp winter sports enthusiasts enjoy the benefit of being able to ski right to their doorstep. It goes without saying that there is a snow sports school for children and adults as well.
For winter walkers there is a panorama trail from the Moosfluh summit station to the Villa Cassel. A flat winter walking trail connects up the holiday resorts of Riederalp, Bettmeralp and Fiescheralp. The cross-country skiing paradise of Goms at the bottom of the Rhone Valley caters perfectly for cross-country skiers.
- Big Aletsch Glacier – highlight of the Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn UNESCO Natural World Heritage Site / glacier crossing on foot
- Aletsch Forest - the larch and mountain pine forest is home to Switzerland's oldest trees
- Villa Cassel – nature preservation information centre and stylish guesthouse in a magnificent location
- Bettmerhorn - interactive display of the ice world and panorama mountain trail to the Eggishorn
- Solbad Breiten/Mörel - Alpine brine health spa with Mediterranean qualities
- Aletsch Alpine Open-air Cinema Festival (July)
- Big Alpine Farmers' Festival with procession (August)
- Schafscheid (sheep market) Riederalp/Bettmeralp (September)
Hi - I'm looking for an apartment in Riederalp between Feb 25, 2011 and March 3, 2011 for 6 people. Can you provide a list of available accomodation, price and details. Many thanks David Johnston email@example.com +41 79 615 4362