Taking a day trip on the GoldenPass Line is in itself like taking a short vacation. After leaving Lucerne and its enchanting lake and mountains, enjoy more scenic splendour as the Lucerne-Interlaken Express climbs leisurely past the Alpnach, Sarner and Lungern lakes up to the Brünig Pass. Then comes the descent to Meiringen, Brienz (on the same-named lake) and Interlaken. Here you change trains to continue along Lake Thun and past the picturesque wooden houses of the Simme Valley to Zweisimmen. From here, the Golden Pass Panoramic heads for glamorous Gstaad. Along the way Rossinière is renowned for its Grand Chalet (dating from the 18th century and the largest inhabitable wooden house in Switzerland). Passengers’ first glimpse of Lake Geneva comes as the train winds its way through vineyards to your day’s destination, Montreux. Between Zweisimmen and Montreux you can also travel by the GoldenPass Classic, a replica of the elegant Belle Epoque trains – and a must for nostalgia fans.
RouteTravel duration (incl. change of trains): 5.08 h
Interlaken Ost-Lucerne (travel time 1.51 h)
Interlaken Ost-Zweisimmen (travel time 1.11 h)
Zweisimmen-Montreux (travel time 1.48 h)
Change trains in Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost. Show map
Lucerne and region
- The Water Tower and Chapel Bridge – Lucerne’s legendary landmarks from the 14th century. The covered wooden footbridge is the oldest in Europe
- Mount Pilatus – the steepest cogwheel railway in the world (48% gradient)
- Stanserhorn – first by oldtimer funicular, then to the summit by futuristic CabriO cableway
Interlaken and region
- Schilthorn – setting for the 007 movie “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”. Bond World and Piz Gloria revolving restaurant
- Brienzer Rothorn – the steam-driven cogwheel railway provides a traditional travel experience from yesteryear
- Ballenberg Open-Air Museum – Switzerland with ancient farmhouses, traditional arts and crafts and livestock
Montreux and region
- The Chocolate Train – take the trip to Broc, enjoy a different taste of travel
- Chillon Castle – historic lakeside castle, with wall murals and vaults
- Rochers-de-Naye – at 2000 metres, marmots from many countries, Mongolian yurts and other attractions
Dining and WiningMinibar (between Zweisimmen-Montreux) and dining car (between Lucerne-Interlaken Ost)
No refreshments between Interlaken Ost-Zweisimmen
ReservationRecommended for panorama trains
Reservation supplement CHF 8
VIP front seats – reservation compulsory
Reservation supplement CHF 15
Reservation not required for regular scheduled services.
Did you know?
that the GoldenPass Line offers two exclusive extras for privileged passengers between Montreux and Zweisimmen? One is the VIP front seats (limited number available) where you almost feel as if you're driving the train; the other is the option to travel by GoldenPass Classic train – in the 1930s style of the Orient Express.