Located near the French border, Porrentruy is the second largest city in Canton Jura. The Old Town, which has burgher houses in the Aaroque, Gothic and Neoclassical style, is well worth a visit. Large fountains such as the Samaritan Fountain (1564) and the Swiss Fountain (1518) are interspersed between the houses. The "Porte de France", built in 1563, is a remnant of the medieval city fortifications.
The churches of Saint Pierre (14th century) and Saint Germain (13th century) house rare side altars and church treasures. The oldest part of the castle dates back to 1271. The castle towers above the city and was the residence of the prince bishops of Basel from 1527-1792.
Stained-glass windows in the Jura: an artistic phenomenon unique in Europe. With their almost sixty churches and chapels, the inhabitants in the Jura canton have, in less than half a century, created a museum of art – modern, alive and open. This is the largest concentration of stained glass across a relatively small region in Europe. Great masters – Frenchmen, Swiss and Jura canton inhabitants – created these works.
Fertile agricultural land and many vineyards dominate the wide landscape of the Ajoie (in German: Elsgau) to the north of the hilly Jura folds. It is an ideal area for hiking and biking tours and tours lasting several days with a horse-drawn gypsy caravan are also popular. The Ajoie is known as the «fruit orchard of the Jura» on account of its many vineyards and famous but rare Damson or Damascene plum trees.
Particularly worth visiting in the Ajoie are the caves of Réclère (Grottes de Réclère) and the family-friendly prehistoric park at Réclère, which focuses on the evolution of fauna from fishes via dinosaurs to mammals.
- Porrentruy’s old town and castle – impressive castle, town hall, market hall, old hospital, fountains and beautiful baroque-style bourgeois houses with small turrets and courtyards.
- Museum «Hôtel-Dieu» – historical apothecary, a masterpiece of wood craftsmanship in the former hospital and medieval treasury of the St. Pierre Church.
- Botanical gardens – 200-year-old botanical garden, Switzerland’s oldest, exhibiting 800 plants from the Jura region, medicinal plants, old vegetable and fruit varieties and 600 varieties of cacti.