The Bernese Alps up close: The fascination of the High Alps is palpable already in the mountain villages, and the unique landscape welcomes visitors with lush alpine meadows, glaciers and untouched romantic valleys, which lead to a wide range of activities that guarantee rest, recreation and even a few thrills.
In addition to the unique mountain gems, the Kandertal Valley offers the romantic wilderness of natural paradises such as the Gastern Valley, Lake Blausee, located in the Nature Park, which boastss an organic trout farm, or the deep blue Oeschinen Lake in the UNESCO World Natural Heritage Region.
In summer visitors can choose among several mountain tours with various levels of difficulty, adventures in one of the most beautiful fixed rope parks of the Alps, or an introduction to mountain climbing. Historic pass crossings, theme trails for the entire family, Europe’s steepest PostBus road and much more are part of the program. The Kandertal Valley has one of the largest densities of SAC-Huts, thus offering hikers and Alpinists unforgettable tours with panoramic views of the Blümlisalp Massif and the glacier world.
The Kander Valley has made a name for itself also as a climbing area. Besides the challenging fixed rope trail to the Allmen Alps, also bouldering has retained its importance for the region – it is one of the three best spots in Switzerland.
The winter season in the Kander Valley offers unique snow adventures. Kandersteg has an extensive network of winterhiking paths and snowshoe trails. The routes through snowclad forests and meadows invite visitors to stop awhile and enjoy the spectacular views.
The Kandertal region encompasses Switzerland’s third largest cross-country area. There are up to 60-kilometer-long skating and classical trails, among them the high-altitude loipe on the Sunnbüel. Especially popular are the illuminated night trails in Kandersteg, which allow cross-country skiing until late in the evening. Tobogganing as well as family-friendly and clearly arranged skiing areas in Kanderstep complete the offerings.
The steep rockfaces in Kandersteg and the frozen waterfalls make the hearts of iceclimbing fans beat faster. The region is one of the mosst important ice climbing areas in Europe.
- Lake Oeschinen – wildly romantic mountain lake at the foot of the Blüemlisalp Massif, accessible by a chairlift.
- Blausee – small lake used as a fish farm in the Kander Valley with very clean water which looks deep blue thanks to the refraction of light.
- Gastern Valley – almost closed off valley with a unique flora, hiker’s paradise on the way to the Lötschen Pass; «Waldhaus» candle hotel withouth electricity.
- Gemmi Pass – formerly a historic pass trail which as an important transport route linked the Cantons of Berne and Valais today is one of a very few passes that are passable on foot in winter.
- BLS Railway experience trail – excititng and informative railway experience trail along the north ramp of the Lötschberg Railway, a must for railway enthusiasts and families.
- Allmenalp Via Ferrata – surely one of the Alps’ most beautiful fixed-rope routes.
- PostBus tour to the Kiental Valley –the steepest PostBus route in Europe.
- Pelzmartiga – at Christmas and on New Year’s Day wild figures pass through the village from lunchtime until late evening and play all sorts of pranks on spectators (December/January).
- International husky race – every year it attracts numerous mushers with their huskies toKandersteg (January).
- Kandersteg Cross-country Ski Race – the classic among cross-country ski races (half marathon 21km) (February).
- Culture in Kandersteg (KiK) – during three weeks Swiss and foreign artists create sculptures in the open countryside (June/July).
- Belle Epoque Week Kandersteg – For one week, Kandersteg brings to life the era of the Belle Epoque with sports and social events (January).
- Oberländer Bike Party & Nordic-Walking Event – On two days, various posts have to be visited and stamped by bike or with Nordic Walking poles (June)
- Openair Cinema Blausee – exciting films on a 17-meter screen against a breathtaking backdrop (June / July)
- Alpcher – Culinary mountain tour – regional specialties and musical entertainments define this hike (August)