Beckenried is the ideal starting point for excursions round Lake Lucerne. Regular boats on the lake and the car-ferry from Beckenried-Gersau make it easy to reach tourist destinations in the region, including the majestic Rigi mountain on the opposite shore of the lake.
The longest cable-car in Central Switzerland takes you from the centre of the village of Beckenried up to the hiking and biking area of Klewenalp-Stockhütte. At the top station of the Klewenalp cable-car (1593 m) is a large children’s playground, a pet’s zoo and a “marmot park”. You can spend the night in the mountain inn or, for a special adventure, in a tepee camp. A panoramic circular walk offers excellent views of the surrounding scenery.
The Klewenalp-Seelisberg family safari is particularly popular, involving several rides on little railways and the post bus. After travelling up to the Klewenalp, the circular tour takes about 1.5 hours on foot through meadows and pine forests to the Stockhütte. Then you can rest on the cable-car down to Emmetten. The tour continues by post bus to Seelisberg and then by funicular railway and boat back to Beckenried.
The little resort of Seelisberg (800 m) is like a peninsula, surrounded by Lake Lucerne, with beautiful views of the lake and mountains. A nostalgic funicular railway leads from Treib on the lakeside (with a boat stop and bathing beach) up to the village. The little lake or "Seeli" which gives the village its name is a little mountain lake near the village, ideal for bathing or camping fun.
Between Beckenried and Seelisberg is the resort of Emmetten (774 m). Old and young will enjoy the playgrounds and a wildlife-spotting footpath. A cable-car gives access to the pre-alpine hiking area around the Stockhütte (1279 m) and on the Niederbauen (1812 m), which is particularly popular with hang-gliders.
The family-friendly skiing area of Klewenalp-Stockhütte offers ten lifts and 30 km of skiing and snowboarding slopes of varying degrees of difficulty, at between 1600 and nearly 2000 m. From the Klewenalp with its ski school, crèche and 15 km of footpaths, the longest sledging run in Central Switzerland, 9 km long with a difference in altitude of 850 m, goes via Stockhütte down to Emmetten.
- Klewenalp-Seelisberg family safari – a popular walk for young and old, including cable-car, post bus and boat rides.
- Emmetten wildlife-spotting footpath – information notices along the 11 km long path tell you interesting things about the fauna on the Oberbauenstock. A guided tour at dawn increases the probability of observing wild animals such as red deer, chamois, ibex, marmots or eagles.
- Weg der Schweiz (Swiss Path) – themed walk about the history of Switzerland going round the southern part of Lake Lucerne: starting from the Rütli meadow – birthplace of the Swiss Federation – the path leads via Seelisberg along the Urnersee.
- Lake Lucerne – historic steamers and launches invite you to discover the landscape from the water.
- Lucerne – it is only a 75-minute boat ride from Beckenried to Central Switzerland’s main tourist and shopping centre in Lucerne.
- Carnival in Seelisberg – long-standing Carnival traditions include a Morgenstreich march, village Carnival and masked processions (February).
- Carnival in Beckenried - Carnival celebrations with a procession through the streets (February).
- Country Alpine Open-Air Klewenalp – modern and traditional country music played against a fantastic mountain backdrop (July).
- Yodelling service in the mountain chapel on the Klewenalp – every second Sunday (summer).
- Nidwalden “Alpchäs Märcht” in Beckenried – market with regional cheeses and speciality meats, children’s entertainment (November).
You enjoy your stay in one of our hotels and you travel around in our region with the TELL PASS just for free with (almost) all the cable cars, boat, bus and train.
Book your package now! All details you find on www.tourismus-beckenried.ch
The news presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Beckenried – Klewenalp