Mendrisio is the capital of the Mendrisiotto district and is justly called "Il Magnifico Borgo” – the magnificent town. An exciting theme trail with nine signposts points out the cultural highlights of the little town. An audio-guide, available in four languages, can be rented.
Between Monte Generoso and Monte San Giorgio (Unesco World Heritage) there are varied hiking trails that lead through the sun-drenched vineyards. The picturesque parts of town exemplify the charm of the Italian lifestyle and beckon to you to stay awhile. Don’t miss a visit to the archaeological excavations of Tremona-Castello and the marble quarries near Arzo!
Cultural events, museums, lakeshore bathing and swimming pools enliven the warm summer months in and around Mendrisio. Monte Generoso and nearby Monte San Giorgio (Unesco World Heritage site) reign supreme with numerous hiking routes, thematic and nature trails as well as bicycling tours and other activities. The Swiss Miniature Park or the cantonal capital of Lugano is also accessible by water.
- Monte Generoso (1704m) – the peak offers one of the most beautiful panoramic vistas in Ticino. The sweeping view stretches from the Alps to Ticino’s lakes, to Lombardy across the Po Plain and up to the Apennine mountains.
- Monte San Giorgio (1097m) – The Unesco World Heritage Site is known for its fossil finds that are unique in the world. A geological path points out the importance of this discovery. Another highlight is the view from the peak and Serpiano.
- Art Museum – The notable collection includes more than 400 works of art, among them several paintings and sculptures. Exhibitions of contemporary and deceased artists are regularly staged.
- Galleria Baumgartner – permanent exhibits of model trains, model train stations in a variety of gauges operated with solar energy and old tin toy trains.
- Pinakothek Züst – The museum houses art works by 14 different painters from the 17th to the 20th century. The artists are from areas that were united in the Canton of Ticino in 1803, or that have a strong relationship with this region.
- Historic Easter Procession (Easter)
- Antiques market - over 120 professional exhibitors and over 10,000 visitors (May)
- Estival Jazz – free concert of highest standard (June)
- Historic nostalgic journey Monte Generoso - Oldtimer-Motorbike Race (July)
- Wine Festival – with lots of traditions, local cuisine and, naturally, fine wine (September)
- Sapori e Saperi – all about typical Ticinese specialties (October)
- St. Martin’s Festival – commemorating St. Martin (November)
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Mendrisio