The Valais resort of Morgins is located at about 1300 m in the valley of the same name, a side valley of the Val d'Illiez in Lower Valais, directly on the border with France. The road leads from Monthey in the Rhone valley through the Val d'Illiez to Troistorrents and from there in countless tight bends up to the upland valley of Morgins (15 km from Monthey). The border pass of Pas de Morgins, a short ridge with a pretty mountain lake, leads into the Val d'Abondance in France.
In summer there is an extensive network of footpaths with several themed walks such as the Planets, Woodland, Bridges or Bee Discovery Paths. On the walk from the Val de Morgins to the Val d'Illiez, the Dents-du-Midi and the Mont Blanc massif are the main features of the panorama. Plant lovers will find many species here that are rare in Switzerland, including orchids. Other sports available are riding, tennis, grass karting, an open-air pool, mini-golf in the village centre and archery.
There are 650 km of bike routes and several free-riding slopes in the Franco-Swiss Bike Park. The loop up to the viewing point of the Pointe des Mossettes on the way from the Val de Morgins to Champéry gives a good view over this bikers’ territory.
The 400 square kilometre winter sports region of "Portes du Soleil" comprises twelve resorts, 650 km of pistes and 214 km of cross-country tracks. The 195 cable-cars and lifts in the region can all be used with a single ski pass, giving access to slopes at an average altitude of between 1000 and 2466 metres. Cross-country skiers will find 20 km of track, including the popular high-altitude track round the Lac de Morgins.
Other winter activities in Morgins include horse-drawn sledge rides, snow-shoe walking, a natural ice track (floodlit in the evening) or snow go-karting.
- Les Portes du Soleil – a huge Franco-Swiss winter sports region with 650 km of slopes at an average altitude of between 1000 and 2466 metres and 195 cable-cars.
- Vallen de They – the romantic valley can be reached on foot from Morgins and has paths for leisurely walks along the mountain brook and an open air theme trail in pristine nature (e.g. bridge path, bee trail, planet trail).
- Home of the ski stars – many alpine skiing champions come from Morgins: Didier Défago (Alpine Ski), Yannick Ecoeur (Ski Tours), Joël Gaspoz (Alpine Ski), Martial Donnet (Alpine Ski).
- Alpine huts with magnificent panoramas – a variety of huts around Morgins offer not only regional delicacies on their menu, but also breathtaking views of Dents du Midi.
- Alpabzug – the cows come down from the mountain pastures, then there are music and regional culinary delights to enjoy (September).
- Ceremony of the Toupins de Morgins – traditional solstice festival with a gathering for water, milk and wine (June and December).
- "C'est l'Hiver! Morgins Festival" – season celebration with concerts (December).
- The Rock the Pistes Festival – free concerts on the pistes of Portes du Soleil (March).
- Salon de la Santé par les Plantes – meeting place for nature lovers (July).
- Folklore markets – merchants, farmers, bars, dining, bingo and traditional entertainment (every Saturday from mid-July to mid-August).
The news presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.