The village square and neighboring alleyways, where sunny restaurant terraces invite you to stay a while, form the heart and soul of Stans. On discovery tours around Stans, the curious soon pinpoint culturally historic buildings, the community parish, patrician houses and memorials dedicated to Arnold von Winkelried and Heinrich Pestalozzi as well as plenty more to catch the eye. It’s not surprising that guided tours through the town prove most popular, and during the summer months these are offered free of charge.
Stans is the perfect departure point for all kinds of excursions around Lake Lucerne. And whether by bike or on foot there’s plenty to see and do. Nidwalden is known for its umpteen mountain cable railways that head for some of the surrounding summits. These range from time-honored to top-modern cable cars, with airy Cabriolet-feeling guaranteed in the world’s first topless double-decker cable car that takes you up to the region’s hometown Stanserhorn mountain.
Eight winter sports and a cross-country skiing area pledge sportive diversity in the region - all of which are reached in between 20 and maximum 50 minutes.
- Stanserhorn – already the trip there with the airy, topless Cabrio-rail is a highlight of its own. 22,000 Bovis units measure power levels here.
- Stanser Fladä – a soft cheese speciality packed in a wooden box and served with a spoon.
- Museum FreyNäpflin – famous works of art from the Renaissance and Baroque eras
- Nidwaldner Museum, with the Fürigen fortress that stems back to the 2nd World War.
- Stanser Fasnacht - (carnival in February)
- Stanser Music Days Music - festival with up to 30,000 visitors (after Easter)
- Stanser Alps Cheese Market on the village square – real Nidwaldner culinary culture and of course finest Alpine cheeses (May)
- Stanser Summer – colourful cultural programme on the village square (July)
- Stans laughs – Humour Festival (September)
- Älpler Chilbi – colour-packed festive Alpine gathering with procession and good old Älpler sayings (October)
- St. Nicholas procession with 300 traditional costume-clad bell ringers known as Trychlers (5th December)
- Wiänachts Märcht – atmospheric Christmas market with over 100 stalls (December)
Tours for groups :
Standard tours, Stans and its baroque era, Stans in the Swiss history and a culinary restaurant tour.
Information and reservation: Robi Ettlin, Tel 041 610 13 84 / 079 761 58 63, email@example.com
For more information and online hotel and apartment bookings: www.lakeluzern.ch
The news presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.