In fact, it is a recreational paradise – perfect for hiking, mountain-biking and walking. While in summer, the region can be discovered at a leisurely pace on any number of safe and varied cycling trails, in winter, numerous ski lifts, cross-country skiing trails and toboggan runs make it a Mecca for winter sports enthusiasts.
With its cosy country inns and mountain huts, guesthouses serving hearty farmhouse fare and exclusive gourmet restaurants, there is something here to delight every palate. There is also a wide range of accommodation available, ranging from seminar facilities in historic buildings and hotels to farmhouse holidays, bed & breakfast, campsites, holiday apartments and cottages as well as hostels that can accommodate large parties.
- Hike, walk or stroll on the Schauenberg (889 m), the highest Nordic walking trail in Canton Zurich, or on the mountain’s two different snowshoe trails in winter.
- Explore the solar system on foot on the Effretikon-Kyburg Planet Theme Trail.
- Find out all about the history of the earth on the Chrüzegg/Atzmännig Geological Theme Trail.
- Marvel at fifty different milestones of industrial history on the 30-km-long Zürcher Oberland Industrialization Trail.
- Explore the rolling hills around Zurich by bike on one of the countless cycling trails criss-crossing this region.
- Experience an exciting cycling trip round the Greifensee and Pfäffikersee lakes or along the river Töss.
- Enjoy the winter by taking advantage of the region’s many ski lifts, cross-country skiing trails and toboggan runs.
- In the hot summer months, take a refreshing dip in one of the region’s many outdoor pools, in the Greifensee, Pfäffikersee or Egelsee lakes, or in any of the other beautiful lidos.
- Enjoy a relaxing cruise on Greifensee lake.
- Savour the countless local specialities (milk and cheese, Baumerfladen (a type of cake), highland beef, Honey Tirggel (a type of biscuit))