Sion is recognizable from afar thanks to the high towers of Castle Tourbillon and the Castle of Valeria. These landmarks guard the capital of Valais and its 30,000 inhabitants. Past and future blend in one of Switzerland’s oldest cities. Sion, which boasts a 7,000-year history, is today the economic center of Valais and an important traffic junction with its own international airport. The Castle Church of Valeria has one of the world’s oldest playable organs from the late beginning of the 15th Century.
Particularly charming are the many historical monuments in the Old Town, the shopping area, and the new modern and convenient municipal facilities. Here one feels a little closer to the south. A visit to one of the numerous museums lets you discover the varied history of the city.
Sion is located in the middle of one of the most important wine-growing regions in Switzerland. Fendant, the region's white wine in particular is well known. In order to be able to water the vines and fields in the sunny and dry valley it was necessary to carve out irrigation channels in the sides of the mountains. These channels are called "Bisses" ("Suonen" in German), and walks along them in the nearby vineyards are a speciality of the Valais.
Thanks to Switzerland's biggest bus station offering countless connections it takes no time to get to the charming side valleys of the Valais. Consequenlty Sion is an ideal starting point for exploring the Valais' summer and winter holiday resorts and the nearby thermal spa resorts. In winter Sion offers fast access to the nearby ski resorts of Anzère, Crans-Montana, 4 Vallées or Val d'Hérens.
- One of the oldest cities in Switzerland (7,000-year history)
- Castles: Valère, Tourbillon, Majorie/Vidomnat and Montorge
- Museums:History, art, nature and bishop's museum
- New, modern and pleasing urban facilities
- Numerous sights spread throughout the beautiful Old Town
- Shopping district in the center of town
- Volerie des Châteux (Falconry)
- Tibor Varga Music Academy (Academie de Musique Tibor Varga) – classical concerts which take place in various venues in the Valais
- International Antique Organ Festival (July/August in the Valeria castle church)
Fully saved my life, thank you so much :D Going to ace my project! Also looks like an amazing place, I love Switzerland :)