City guide Chur
Celts, Romans, Ostrogoths, Franks - all ruled Chur, the gateway to important trade routes and alpine passes, at one time or another. What remains today, is its 5000-year history, documented by Early Stone Age and Bronze Age finds anc artifacts from the Roman period, as well as testimonies to more recent history such as the 800-year-old Cathedral near the bishop's residence.
During a guided city tour, history buffs can discover witnesses to the past and hear gruesome stories from civil wars, or amusing anecdotes from times of peace. To this day, Chur is a commercial center and capital of a large region, as evidenced by a variety of stores, museums, the theater and the PostBus station, a hub of Graubünden's mountain world.
A regional mountain – the ‘Brambrüesch’ – means that Chur also has its own winter and summer sports region. In summer, Chur is the ideal spot from which to set off on walks and visits to vineyards in the ‘Bündner Herrschaft’ winemaking region. Chur is the gateway to the Grisons mountains: 26 holiday and spa resorts can be reached in less than an hour from Chur.
Switzerland’s oldest city charms visitors with its fine mountain setting, twisting alleys and historic buildings. Trains of the Rhaetian Railway run hourly to world-famous resorts.
- The Rhaetian Railway has been certified as an UNESCO world heritage site and therefore has a lot to offer – best explored from Chur.
- Chur is the only city in Switzerland with its own winter and summer sports region, linked with the city by means of the Brambrüesch aerial cableway.
- All well-known resorts in Graubünden are within easy reach from Chur. Which means the city has a new adventure to offer every day.
- The oldest archaeological discovery on city ground dates back to 12’000 to 9000 years BC. Chur has been continuously populated for at least 5000 years.
- Chur is natural: 50 percent of the city area is covered with forest and at the same time Chur offers an urban infrastructure with cultural events and a large variety of shops.
- Culinary delights: You will find everything from gourmet restaurants to local pubs in Chur