The holiday resort of Brunnen lies directly on beautiful Lake Lucerne, nestling between the Urmiberg and Stoos-Fronalstock and facing the Rütli and Schillerstein mountains in the heart of William Tell country. The resort is well served by railway, bus, motorway and boat as well as by a little cableway up the Urmiberg, the eastern foothill of the Rigi.
The historic Axis Road, built with many artistic buildings into the steep rocks on the eastern shore of Lake Uri, has linked Brunnen with Flüelen since 1865.
Brunnen enjoyed early prominence when, in 1865, King Ludwig II, a great admirer of William Tell, travelled to Brunnen. Regularly at midnight, he would have himself rowed out on the Urnersee to listen to alpine horn music, played at his command, against the backdrop of fairytale mountain scenery. Many writers and painters, including Goethe and Spitteler, have also been much taken with Brunnen.
The fjord-like tips of the Urnersee promise lots sailing and swimming fun, while the surrounding countryside is an unforgettable cycling experience. There are rewarding excursions to Rigi and the Bürgenstock, the Muotathal with its cave, Treib-Seelisberg, the Stoos-Fronalpstock, the Goldau zoo, and the towns of Schwyz, Zug, Lucerne and Altdorf.
Keen walkers should include a few stages of the ‘Swiss Trail’ around the Urnersee: it begins at Rütli, the birthplace of the Federation of Swiss Cantons 1291, and ends in Brunnen. There are scheduled boats at each of the towns along the trail for the return journey. Strong cyclists will enjoy the 40 km tour around Mythen.
A wide range of accommodation, wellness and sports facilities await on the sunny terrace of Morschach above Brunnen. Have pure unadulterated fun in the whirlpool, wild-water stream, children’s pool with a 100-metre chute, and a large sports centre. The wellness oasis includes a Roman-Irish thermal bath, brine bath, invigorating herbal baths, massage, fitness and beauty centres.
The winter sports region of Stoos-Fronalpstock, the ski resorts of Mythen, Sattel-Hochstuckli and Rigi are about 30 minutes away from Brunnen, and there is a choice of 40 transport facilities and 80 km of pistes. Winter hiking, cross-country ski trails, sledging runs and snow-shoe trekking etc. guarantee plenty of variety.
- Lake Lucerne: the various arms of Lake Lucerne make it one of the most diverse Swiss lakes with a large fleet of steam and motor boats.
- Swiss Holiday Park: a wide variety of sports, bathing and wellness facilities in the little holiday resort of Morschach above Brunnen.
- Rütli: a symbolic site for the Swiss Confederation. It was on this meadow above the Urnersee that Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden reinforced their alliance in 1291 and swore mutual support against any form of foreign domination.
- Tell’s Chapel: according to Schiller, this is where William Tell was supposed to have jumped from Gessler’s boat. Close by is the biggest glockenspiel in Switzerland, with 38 bells playing 20 melodies.
- Schwyz: home of the federal archive and a very interesting old town.
- Victorinox Brand Store – in the center of Brunnen, with a unique Cutlery Museum.
Federal celebrations on the Rütli: celebrations take place on the Rütli meadow on 1st August, the Swiss national holiday.
The news presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.
The lake, together with the snowy mountains, glitters in the sunshine and you feel totaly relaxed . Picturesque !
I've been two times at Brunnen. It's always beautiful, his people is to affective. A trip into his boats at his lake is unforgettable. From CHILE, Aldo & Fmly.