The Heidi story is an overarching theme. There is a Heidi path and a Heidi house in the neighboring Bündner Herrschaft; the Heidi Musical has already been performed several times. There are other sights, too: the spa city of Bad Ragaz with its grand hotels, its wellness offerings, casino and exclusive golf courses; the skiing and hiking regions of Flumserberg and Pizol; the Lake Walen vacation resort of Weesen, as well as the medieval castle of Sargans.
The region has an extensive hiking network with various thematic routes, such as the Heidi Adventure Trails, the Geo-Park High Altitude Trail (discover 100 million years of earth history) or herbal hiking trails. Bikers will find flat as well as more challenging routes in the region.
Boat trips on Lake Walen, such as the extraordinary hamlet of Quinten, and several bathing opportunities around the lake cater to people who love the water. Adventure seekers can rappel down a dam wall, parachute in tandem or book a passenger flight in a glider. And in Bad Ragaz, one can relax at one of the golf courses at teatime.
The two central ski resorts of Flumserberg and Pizol, the smaller of the two, offer great variety on their 105 kilometers of piste fun and 18 kilometers of Nordic tracks. Both destinations offer snowboard parks as well as toboggan runs. A visit to the Bad Ragaz thermal baths is restorative and relaxing.
- Tamina Gorge Bad Ragaz - at one time a healing bath, the Old Pfaefers Bath, is open to visitors. The oldest baroque spa building in Switzerland, it also houses a monastery- and and spa-museum.
- Tamina Thermal Springs Bad Ragaz - known since the early Middle Ages, today these acratothermal springs have the greatest amount of water in Europe (36.5 degrees Celsius).
- Sargans Castle - an old comital castle and an important local museum. In the castle restaurant one can taste wine and savor knight’s menus, while enjoying the spectacular view.
- Pizol with Five-Lake-Tour - five crystal clear mountain lakes and the magnificent panorama of the Eastern Swiss Alps are your reward for the extensive tour.
- Serenbach Falls at Betlis - a natural wonder on Lake Walen. A significant amount of water pours from a subterranean cave system into a 22-meter-deep chasm.