The main resorts, Villars, Les Diablerets, Leysin and Château-d’Oex, are reached in no time at all thanks to smooth-running public transport and some most spectacular and scenic train rides: On the one hand along Lake Geneva, and from Aigle and Bex with narrow gauge railways (in part cog), or through the Goldenpass panorama stretch between Montreux and Gstaad.
A vacation in the Vaud Alps region pledges loads of palatable enjoyment: vineyards and cellars, Alpine cheese-making (e.g. l’Etivaz AOC) as well as paper-cutting arts, the salt mines of Bex, Lavey-les-Bains thermal springs, quaint mountain villages, fantastic mountain lakes, impressive panoramas (from the Le Kuklos revolving restaurant for example), deep canyons, over 500 kilometres of beautiful hiking paths and at least 150 km of mountain bike routes.
All together, 420 kilometers of pistes lay at the feet of skiing and snowboard enthusiasts. Not forgetting the Glacier 3000, Château-d’Oex and Rougemont, region of the Gstaadt Mountain Rides, all of which form a part and deserve a special mention. Winter fans also take pleasure in multiple possibilities for cross-country skiing, snowshoe walking, scenic winter hikes, skijoring, ice-skating, curling and thrilling toboggan rides…as well as anything else you can do with snow!
- Tobogganing Park in Leysin: guaranteed, fun, thrills and laughs and unforgettable experience on one of Europe’s longest snow-tube facilities.
- L’Etivaz AOC cheese: buckets full of cheese produced in traditional fashion over an open fire in the mountain huts of Pays-d’Enhaut!
- Regional Gruyère Pays-d’Enhaut natural park: Pre-Alps shaped region, distinguished through its lively Alpine hospitality, stunning landscapes and natural beauty.
- Les Diablerets with Glacier 3000: Highest point of the Waadtländer Alps, boasting stupendous panoramic views, highest-lying summer toboggan run and non-stop snow fun year round.
- Sled rides from Les Mazots to Les Diablerets – A 7.2 km sled ride you just have to do on a 30 to 45 minute ride promising action-packed fun!
- Les Bains de Lavey: Switzerland’s warmest thermal waters spring from the Vaud Alps.
- The salt-works of Bex: An abundance of visitors, tunnels, pits, steps and huge halls.
- Narrow gauge rail network from Aigle and Bex: Stretches to Leysin, Les Diablerets and Villars/Bretaye transport you through the region and save you the use of an own car.
- International Château-d’Oex Balloon Festival (January)
- Les Diablerets Music and Snow Festival (January and February)
- Villars Night Show, Bretaye/Villars (February and March)
- Nescafé Champs Open, Leysin (March)
- Villars International Hiking Exhibition (June)
- Les Mosses Mid-summer Festival by the Lac Lioson lake (August)
- Les Diablerets Film Festival (international mountain and the environment films (August)
- L‘Etivaz Alpine Descent: Carefully decorated herds make their way back from mountain pastures (September)
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Vaud Alps