The region first gained importance with the construction of the Lukmanier and Oberalp passes. The Oberalp Pass, leading to Andermatt at the foot of the Gotthard, is an ideal starting point for tours on foot or by bike – perhaps to the idyllic Tomasee lake which, among the various source tributaries, is considered the official source of the Anterior Rhine. This is where the “Veloland Schweiz” Rhine route begins.
Besides the source of the Rhine, the monastery in Disentis is another important feature. The monastery of St. Martin, founded in the 8th century, is one of the oldest Benedictine monasteries in Europe. Built in 1712, the Baroque collegiate church with its two onion-domed towers, rich stucco work and painted ceilings is one of the most important sacred buildings in Graubünden.
Water, mountains and summer skies: in the holiday region of Disentis Sedrun you can hike over green Alpine meadows, rest in cool alder groves and enjoy the scent of Alpine herbs and flowers by the wayside. There are lots of hiking tours that run through the impressive mountainscape of Graubünden, from pleasant family walks to demanding Alpine hikes. Mountaineers of all ages will feel right at home here. A special highlight is the hike to the Tomasee, the source of the Rhine. More than 150 km of mountain bike routes along the Alpine passes are sure to delight every biker. Visitors looking for a fun adventure can try crystal hunting (known as “Strahlen”) or panning for gold in the Upper Rhine. After an eventful day in the great outdoors, holidaymakers will enjoy an evening of regional delicacies served by friendly hosts. Dining options range from guild restaurants and Graubünden parlours to traditional “Bergbeizli” (mountain inns).
Disentis Sedrun attracts visitors with its two skiing areas and numerous facilities by the pistes. In total there are around 180 km of slopes to discover. Freeriders and ski tourers will find endless opportunities for enjoyment in Disentis at up to 3,000 m above sea level. The SkiArena Andermatt-Sedrun is the perfect place for any skiing enthusiast. Thanks to a combined ski pass, the two resorts of Andermatt and Sedrun offer great skiing from flat beginner pistes to demanding downhill runs. Away from the slopes there are varied winter hiking paths, almost 50 kilometres of cross-country ski trails and thrilling toboggan runs to enjoy. Those who prefer a slower pace can visit the cultural attractions including the Benedictine monastery in Disentis, or indulge in local delicacies on one of the many sun terraces. The Bogn Sedrun wellness spa is the perfect place to relax.
- Tomasee, source of the Rhine – the Oberalp Pass is the ideal starting point for the hike to the Tomasee, source of the Anterior Rhine and regarded as the official source of the Rhine.
- Panning for gold – the biggest nugget of gold in Switzerland was found in the Upper Rhine near Disentis. Visitors can book day or half-day excursions including gold panning equipment.
- Disentis Monastery – founded in about 720 AD, the Benedictine monastery is one of the oldest in Europe. Richly decorated Baroque collegiate church and monastery museum.
- Trofea Pez Ault – ski mountaineering race in Disentis (March).
- La cuorsa dil rein – half marathon (June).
- 8th "Schweizer Familie" National Hiking Day (September)