The road through this rustic village leads down into the valley where the better-known Saas destinations are located. Those driving into Saas-Balen will inevitably find their eyes drawn to the Fellbach waterfall, which makes for an impressive natural spectacle as it thunders down to the rocks below. It is no less a majestic sight in the winter, when it is frozen into an ice sculpture; visitors at that time of year might also find their gaze alighting on the village ski lift.
A closer look reveals more gems, such as the round church “Assumption Day”, a protected monument from the late Baroque period. Consecrated almost 200 years ago in 1812, it has lost none of its magical appeal and lends the “Pearl of Serenity” an almost divine air.
Hikers on the idyllic trails leading to the sleepy hamlets of Matt and Heimischgartu will discover something new every step of the way. Take a break, soothe your soul and dip your feet in an icy cold mountain stream – what could be more invigorating? Watch the locals make cheese on the Hoferalp – at 2,260 metres, it is one of the highest alps in Europe – and take home delicious, flavourful memories of the Gspon high route to Saas-Grund.
A cross-country ski run along the Saaser Vispa river will inspire fans of the sport to dig out their poles, and ice skaters will love the natural ice rink. The ski lift pulls you up the slope at a leisurely pace and is popular with adults and children alike. If you prefer steeper slopes, a special bus will take you to all the popular ski areas of the Saas Valley. The ski run leading down the valley, from the Saas-Grund ski area directly to Saas-Balen, is particularly convenient.
- Fellbach waterfall – an impressive natural spectacle by the Fellbach stream.
- Baroque round church – late Baroque village church whose round shape is unique in Switzerland.
- Start of the Saas Valley cross-country ski trail – a perfectly groomed trail through snowy larch forests and along the frozen Vispa river, surrounded by impressive 4,000-metre peaks.
- Heimischgartu – an idyllic hamlet above Saas-Balen.
- Alpine Festival Hofer Alp – after the Yodel Fair visitors get to enjoy the festival activities and culinary specialties (August).