Saas-Grund has a lot to offer. The new, 1,200 metre wellness and activity trail on Kreuzboden offers visitors a wonderful opportunity to hone their senses and take some time out for quiet reflection. Adults and kids alike will enjoy wading through icy-cold streams, drinking crystal-clear glacier water, crossing rope bridges, rafting across the mountain lake and listening to bubbling mountain springs.
The alpine flower walk allows you to discover the unique alpine flora, with more than 240 plant varieties, such as Swiss stone pines, which even grow above 2,500 metres – no other tree in Switzerland is found at higher altitudes. And in addition to its wealth of natural beauty, Saas-Grund also has a great activities programme – with all this diversity, the “Hiking Pearl” truly shines!
Saas-Grund is truly a hiker’s paradise. Numerous trails start here that allow you to experience the natural beauty of the region. On the “The 18 Four-Thousand-Metre peaks of the Saas Valley” loop you can learn all about the 4,000 metre giants, and you can get to grips with the cliffs at the Jägihorn via ferrata. The lovely mountain lake is a restful sight for tired eyes, and the Hohsi-Land playground offers fun and games for everyone.
The Hohsaas ski area is sunny, gets guaranteed snow, and the view of the 18 surrounding 4,000-plus peaks is nothing short of stunning. Cross-country skiers can take advantage of the trails in the valley, and an ice rink is the site of many a pirouette, in addition to curling and ice hockey – including the home games of EHC Saastal in Switzerland’s third-highest hockey league. And don’t forget the eleven-kilometre sledge run from Kreuzboden down to the valley – one of the longest and most thrilling anywhere!
- Kreuzboden lake – this little mountain lake is a sight for sore eyes at 2,400m above sea level.
- Wellness and fun trail – the 1.2 km trail has everything you need for an enjoyable and active day out: rest areas with hammocks, a picnic spot with barbecue facilities and a mountain refuge.
- Hohsi-Land – a place where kids can really let off steam – on rope bridges, climbing walls or other pieces of equipment.
- “The 18 4,000-metre peaks of the Saas Valley” – on this 1.4km tour, hikers can glimpse the 18 mighty 4,000-metre peaks of the valley – at first hand, then in reproductions and on information boards.
- Alpine flower trail – thousand-year-old larches and more than 240 different plant species line the path, including flowers only found in the Saas Valley
- Horn sled race – at this special race there Is only one category: great fun (March).
- Nostalgic ski racing – style and original outfits as well as speed are evaluated in the two categories “nostalgia” and “retro” (March).
- Snow festival – Hohsaas mountain railways’ legendary snow jamboree presents new names in the music industry and wonderful bands (March).
- Alpine procession, cow wrangling, Trift Alp – after the fair, the cow wrangling matches begin. The event includes festive food and drink (June).
- Walk & Dine – a culinary hike dedicated to the pleasures of the palate, from the mid-station Trift towards Kreuzboden (August).
- Triftalp Alpine Festival – after the Holy Mass, guests are treated to festival specialties and music (August).
- Hohsaas Mountain Race – at this exciting event mountain racers and Nordic walkers are led from Saas-Grund to Kreuzboden (September).