In addition to low-price shopping, the village of Samnaun and the Samnaun Valley offer unspoilt nature and a fantastic region for winter sports. Thanks to its situation, the area is ideal for excursions to the Lower Engadine and across the nearby borders.
With a network of over 250 kilometres of marked and groomed hiking trails the holiday region covers a broad spectrum of options ranging from sophisticated tours for experienced mountaineers to hikes along former smugglers’ trails through to relaxed walks along leisure trails.
Over 900 types of flowers – some of which grow exclusively in the region - thrive in the charming countryside of the Samnaun Valley. Along theme trails, such as the Animal Trail, Quotation and Aphorism Trail, Mountain Forest Trail and Plant Trail, information boards provide added interest. Two marmots, Murmina and Murmin, accompany walkers on the Fairytale Trail designed by the Grisons artist Rudolf Mirer. Bike riders benefit from 80 kilometres of well-documented mountain bike trails.
The shared ski region of Samnaun and the Austrian resort of Ischgl – the Silvretta Arena between Arlberg and the Silvretta Group – is the biggest joint ski region in the Eastern Alps.
42 transport facilities, including the Samnaun Twinliner as the only double-decker cable car, take carvers, snowboarders and sun-worshippers to airy heights. With over 200 kilometres of groomed pistes as well as designated deep-snow areas for off-piste skiers and wide pistes for carvers and lovers of fast descents are perfectly catered for. «Boarders Paradise» - one of the biggest snowboard parks in Europe boasting 1100 metres of piste and 30 facilities – gets boarders’ pulses racing. Snow sports schools ensure athletes of all ages know all the right moves.
40 kilometres of winter walking trails, cross-country skiing tracks, toboggan runs and snow-shoe trails fulfil most winter walkers’ wishes. Finally, the Alpenquell Experience Spa is the perfect place to unwind.
- Double-decker aerial cableway – first double-decker cable car in the world with a capacity of 180 passengers.
- Only tax-free oasis in Switzerland – reasonably-priced souvenirs lift the spirits of bargain-hunters and other visitors.
- Theme trails – large choice of interesting trails ranging from the Forest Trail to Fairytale Trail and through to Aphorism Trail.
- Alpenquell Experience Spa - located at an altitude of 1715 metres above sea level it is the highest spa centre in Switzerland.
- Swiss National Park – the highest nature reserve in Switzerland is the perfect day excursion destination.
- Spring Snow Festival – winter open-air festival featuring world-famous rock stars in the Samnaun-Ischgl ski arena (March/April).
- National Day - 1 August Event with particularly well-known speakers, firework display etc. (August).
- Clau Wau Santa Claus World Championships – the world’s best Santas complete mad tasks to win the competition (November).
The news presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.