«Allegra» - is the romantic greeting with which visitors are welcomed to Zernez. The year-round rail connection with a car transport service through the Vereina Tunnel has made the holiday resort of Zernez (1474 metres above sea level) in the uppermost part of the Lower Engadine and close to the Flüela and Ofen Mountain Passes even more easily accessible. First and foremost Zernez is the gateway to the Swiss National Park and location of the “National Park House” information centre. And Zernez is also a perfect starting point for excursions in the direction of the Lower Engadine (Scuol), the Upper Engadine (St. Moritz, Pontresina), via the Flüela Pass to Davos or over the Ofen Pass to the Münster Valley.
The guests can find accommodation in hotels, vacation apartments, tourist camps, and private rooms as well as on the large campground on the Inn River.
The National Park – measuring 170.3 square kilometres the biggest nature preserve in Switzerland – offers a unique wealth of Alpine animals and plants in untouched, wild mountain countryside. A hiking network provides the perfect opportunity to explore the park.Just outside the city precincts there is not only a network of hiking trails but also a fantastic biking trail network. The three Nordic Walking Trails offer further sports activities, as does the Vita Parcours in the forest. A family and wellness spa, a minigolf-course and a playground add to the infrastructure and further enhance the visitor’s experience.
In winter Zernez offers cross-country skiers access to the extensive track network of the Lower and Upper Engadine which includes the 15-kilometre-long, widly romantic forest track between S-chanf and Zernez. Winter walkers enjoy the peacefulness of the snow-covered Engadine countryside on groomed trails. Skiers and snowboarders can access the big ski regions of the Lower and Upper Engadine in no time. The toboggan run of Mount Baselgia, an artificial ice rink and the natural ice rink complete the winter offerings in Zernez. Only the National Park shows winter guests the cold shoulder, since it is buried under a deep layer of snow.
- Unspoilt village of Zernez – picturesque village with beautiful Engadine houses located at the historically important transport hub of the Lower and Upper Engadine and Ofen Pass.
- Swiss National Park – biggest nature preserve in Switzerland with a unique wealth of Alpine animals and plants in untouched mountain countryside.
- National Park House Zernez – information centre with a permanent exhibition, explorable marmot burrow, vivarium with adders, terrain relief with touch screen, and a shop with an extensive range of information materials.
- Engadin Bad Scuol – offers a wide range of pools and saunas, Roman-Irish baths and a wellness and therapy centre in a light-filled building.
- Guarda – the most beautiful village of the Lower Engadine, high above the valley on a sun terrace, has maintained its original appearance which dates back to the 17th century.
- National Park open-air cinema in Zernez – a colourful mix of films in the snug castle courtyard of Planta-Wildenberg (July).
- Engadine Bike Marathon - Zernez is start and finish of a tough course over several mountain passes around the National Park (July).
- Chalandamarz – Festival of the Winter Eviction, during which the children go from house to house in traditional costumes, singing and asking for donations for the Chalandamarz-Ball (March 1)
- Southern Graubünden Market (Südbündner Markt) and exhibition day – Cattle Market, entertainment, traditional Alpine products and local arts and crafts (October)