The Romans called it Leuca Fortis – “strong
Leuk” – and until the 19th century this was
one of the ecclesiastical and cultural centres
of the Valais. Defiant towers, castles and fine
patrician houses bear witness to the former
strength, self-confidence and determination
of the community.
The emblematic Bishop’s Castle (built 1254),
town hall, late-gothic St. Stephen’s Church
(with its romanesque tower and roman fi replace)
and baroque Ringacker Chapel can be
seen for miles around.