Surselva with the vacation destinations of Brigels, Obersaxen, Val Lumnezia and Ilanz, is a vacation region with countless natural and cultural sights. Highlights include natural attractions such as the Greina High Plateau, the waterfalls at Lag da Pigniu, the Rhine Gorge and Val Frisal. But historical edifices such as the castle ruins of Munt Sogn Gieri in Waltensburg or the time-honored buildings of the Old Town in Ilanz are definitely worth a visit. Living traditions and customs, art and living culture, over 190 km of marvelous ski pistes and countless winter hiking trails round out the diverse offerings.
The Surselva Summer Festival offers leisure experiences to match every taste. Offerings include over 1,200 km of sign-posted hiking trails, several 100 km long sign-posted bike trails, three golf courses situated in idyllic surroundings and numerous natural and cultural attractions. The breathtaking panorama is always included in the price.
In the ski landscape of Surselva, the two ski regions of Brigels-Waltensburg-Andiast and Obersaxen-Mundaun, which offer over 190 km of pistes for aficionados, await skiers. These regions have won international awards. Visitors can also enjoy themselves on the periphery of the pistes, in the cozy mountain villages or on the hundreds of kilometers of winter hiking trails. The tranquil and sunny side valleys of Val Lumnezia and Safiental Valley offer pure relaxation.
- Greina – a high plateau, six kilometers long and one kilometer wide. A breathtaking natural landscape with a unique biotope.
- Val Frisal – the more than 3 km long high valley of Val Frisal is located at an elevation of 1,900 meters and is a protected moorland with rare plants.
- Nature park Beverin – a park wellknown for its deep ravines, crystal-clear mountain lakes and majestic ibexes.
- Rhine Gorge – the steep white vertical rock faces dramatically drop into the depths, where the Rhine River impetuously seeks a path: the Rhine Gorge at Ilanz, Valendas and Versam is the “Grand Canyon of Switzerland”.
- Lag da Pigniu – a tour around the romantic reservoir lake reveals steep waterfalls roaring into the depths and an unusual historical monument at the dam.
- Ilanz – the first city on the Rhine with a historically important Old Town.
- Vrin – the prize-winning mountain village of Vrin is located at the back of Val Lumnezia, at an elevation of 1,448 meters.
- Waltensburg Castle – Casti Munt Sogn Gieri (Jörgenberg) is Surselva’s largest castle complex. Casti Grotta (Kropfenstein) was built at a vertical cliff face.
- Rufali Park Obersaxen – an adventure park with a diverse program, culinary delights and a children’s paradise offering variety and fun.
- SurselvaClassic – Slow Nordic Dkiing event from Trun to Disentis (January)
- SurselvaJam – Slopestyle-Contest for skis or snowboard at Surselva Snowpark in Brigels with party and evening concerts (March)
- Bike Marathon Lumnezia Obersaxen– annual marathon in a magnificent natural landscape (July)
- Openair Lumnezia – the charming festival is one of the annual summer highlights (July)
- Ilanz Town Festival – a festival with diverse entertainment offerings, culinary specialties and a market (August)
- Brigels Alpine Parade – about 600 cows are brought down from the Brigel Alps during the Alpine Parade and Festival (September)