Ilanz, with its wide spectrum of culture and leisure activities, shopping opportunities and restaurants is also a perfect starting point for various excursions and trips to skiing areas. Visitors who like the wild will enjoy offers like river rafting in the Rhine Gorge. They can also explore the Rhine Gorge on foot or by bicycle. In winter the surrounding skiing areas offer fantastic winter sports opportunities.
Near Ilanz there are various beautiful side valleys and the breathtaking, notoriously wild Rhine Gorge. Water lovers can raft through that spectacular gorge. It is also suitable for other water sports such as canoeing or Funyak. Those who prefer staying on dry land, can explore the Rhine Gorge by bicycle, on foot, or admire it from one of the many viewing platforms.
Located in the heart of Surselva, the little town is the ideal starting point for visiting six skiing areas offering 600 kilometers of pistes and 70 trails for leisure skiers as well as the more ambitious snow riders. These skiing areas, and various nearby side valleys as well as the Rhine Gorge offer every kind of activity, including skiing, snowshowing, tobogganing, Nordic skiing and winter hiking.
- Ilanz Old Town –The historic center of Ilanz boasts valuable buildings from the 16th and 17th century.
- Rhine Gorge – the white rock faces fall dramatically into the depth where the Rhine is impetuously seeking its way. The Rhine Gorge near Ilanz, Valendas and Versam is Switzerland’s “Grand Canyon”.
- Cinema sil plaz – culture pulsates in the heart of Surselva: enjoy films, concerts, and cabaret in an impressive location.
- Historic workshop of the Giger brothers, Schnaus – A moving museum, where for nearly 100 years the famous "Schnauser Plows" were produced.
- Ilanz Town Festival – a festival with a wide range of entertainment offerings, culinary specialties and a market (August)