Savognin lies in the high sweeping Surses valley (Oberhalbstein), between Tiefencastel and the Julierpass and Septimerpass. The impressive landscape with its craggy mountain chains, steep gorges and hilly mountain meadows already caught the eye of the renowned painter Giovanni Segantini, who resided in the Surses valley from 1886 until 1894. The mild climate of the Surses with its prominent southern influence is characterised by dryness and an abundance of sunny days.
The village of Savognin with its medieval bridge and three steeples remains accessible throughout the year thanks to the permanently open Julierpass. The nearby resort of Bivio situated on the Julierstrasse is also closely associated with the destination of Savognin.
The rather tranquil resort of Savognin boasts a particularly wide range of holiday apartments and bears the «Families welcome» quality mark. Eight children’s playgrounds reflect the efforts that have been made to accommodate the needs of children.
200 kilometres of walking trails attract holidaymakers in the summer. Even mountain bikers will find enough trails – including specially signposted routes – in the Surses valley. En route, bathing lakes like the Lai Barnagn invite passers by to take a dip. More venturous visitors can try out the fixed rope route on the Piz Mitgel. The «Parc Ela» is a hiking paradise of a special kind: this newly-established regional park measures 600 square kilometres and offers 10 themed trails, multi-day tours and around 50 guided themed walks.
Savognin, a small resort with a large ski area: in winter, the 80 kilometres of especially wide pistes are a paradise for skiers and carvers, but they also lure many snowboarders. And kids will be well looked after too in the «Pinocchio Club» with its practice slopes right in the centre of the village.
32 kilometres of skiing trails await cross-country skiers, while winter hikers will benefit from 45 kilometres of signposted walking trails. Tobogganing enthusiasts will delight in the numerous toboggan runs which extend up to nine kilometres in length. Snow-shoe trekkers have a choice of six routes. After an intensive day on the slopes, the sulphur spring in the nearby thermal baths of Alvaneu offer welcome relaxation in warm water.
- Alp Flix – highland moor of national importance with over 2000 animal and plant species.
- Parc Ela – a regional nature park measuring 548 square kilometres situated in the Albula and Surses valleys.
- Senda ferrada Piz Mitgel – Alpine fixed rope route offering two grades of difficulty.
- Alvaneu thermal baths – thermal baths and sauna landscape in the nearby Albula valley (15 km from Savognin).
- Ziteil pilgrimage church – one of the highest places of pilgrimage in the Alps.
- Via Sett – cultural and long-distance trail from Thusis to Chiavenna.
- Golf Club Alvaneu – an 18-hole golf course in the rugged and romantic Albula valley.
- National Alpine ‘Guggenmusik’ Meeting (NAGT) – around 400 ‘Guggen’ musicians bring a cacophony of sound and colour to Savognin (mid March).
- Savognin sheep shearing spectacle – visitors are in the immediate vicinity on the Gravas village square; farmers bring their sheep to Savognin and shear the patient animals there and then (October).
- ÖKK Children's and Family Festival – master 12 jobs and enjoy a varied supporting programme.
- Savognin Lake Festival – with delicious food, music and entertainment until after midnight.
- Origen Festival Cultural – Graubünden's largest cultural festival with opera performances in Riom Castle and the Sontga Crousch cultural centre.