Originally dedicated to St. Benedict of Nursia, the church was first mentioned in 1228 in the Lausanne cartulary (directory). Up until 1798, the city of Biel fell secularly under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Basel, while being ecclesiastically part of the Diocese of Lausanne until the Reformation in 1528. The two previous churches dating from the Romanesque and Gothic eras are covered by walls and building works. A detailed architectural history of these two previous buildings is no longer accessible because of the tuffaceous soil conditions and the installation of the heating system in the early 20th century. The former sacristy in its crypt-like setting under the choir may still be seen.