The town of Engelberg is appealing because of its distinct and rustic character. The Benedictine monastery was founded in 1120 and has a great impact on the life of the village, even today. Monks still live, work and teach there. The homes left over from the Belle Epoque are also witnesses of that time period. In combination with the pleasant Swiss flair, the special architecture lends the village its very own charm.
In Engelberg, families benefit from the national quality seal “Families welcome”, which features a special program just for the kids. The summer toboggan run and the adventure playground are just a couple of examples of what’s available for the youngsters.
- Four Lake Hike – magnificent tour from glassy Lake Trübsee to deep-blue Engstlensee, on to the turquoise-colored Tannensee and the picturesque Melchsee.
- With the rotating Titlis Rotair gondola to the eternal ice and the spectacular suspension bridge Titlis Cliff Walk, the Ice-Flyer and the Glacier Grotto. Fun on the slopes – snow is guaranteed between October and May and a 12-km ski run from the Titlis down to the valley is one of the longest downhills in the Alpine region.
- Children’s paradise Brunni – a toboggan run, Globi’s water world, Globi‘s petting zoo at the Rigidal mountain inn, and the tickling path near Härzlisee – everything a child could want.
- Freeriding and ski touring – spectacular downhill runs, such as Laub, Steinberg and Galtiberg make Engelberg the ultimate freeride heaven and for all those who don’t mind a bit of climbing, there are a number of fantastic ski tours.
- FIS Ski Jumping World Cup Engelberg – where the world’s ski jumping elite meets for the largest winter sport event in central Switzerland (December)
- Pro Sieben Mountain Jam – promising performances in Engelberg (March)
- Fisherman's Friend Strongman Run – across slopes of scree, through ice-cold rivers, along deep chasms, and underneath barbed wire. This is the longest and toughest obstacle course in Switzerland (June)
- Alpine Pop Music Festival – the pop music festival at Ristis has established itself and is now a fixed part of the summer music program in central Switzerland (August)
- Rugghubelberglauf – unparalleled run against a majestic mountain backdrop. It starts in the village of Engelberg and finishes at the Rugghubel hut at 2,296 meters (August)
- Titlis Mountain Trophy – climbing more than 2,000 meters on foot from the Engelberg base station to Gross-Titlis (3,238 meters) (August)
Families are more than welcome in Engelberg. As a family destination, it has the perfect infrastructure to make everyone feel comfortable.
In the Brunni area, the kids will certainly not be bored, considering the toboggan run, the large playground at Ristis, the Globi treasurer hunt, and the barefoot trail. The exciting Knorrli Trail around Lake Trübsee is a playful way for the whole family to learn and discover what healthy eating means.
Staying just one night is enough for a family to benefit from the summer program with a variety of activities from Monday to Friday.
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Engelberg