Pontresina enjoys a sunny, sheltered location at the entrance to the Val Bernina (Berninatal) on a south-west facing terrace just 7 km from St. Moritz. The first hotels for guests were built as early as the 19th century. The charm of this medium-sized resort lies in the architectural blend of fine old Engadine houses with their typical “sgraffito” (decorated walls) from the 17/18th centuries and the elegant hotels in Belle Epoque style. A modern conference centre completes the village’s infrastructure.
The mountain pass and, since the early 20th century, the Bernina railway line lead over the 2330 m high Bernina Pass towards Italy. At sightseeing speed, the Bernina Express passes the massive Morteratsch Glacier. From the Ospizio Bernina station there is a lovely view over the mountain lakes of Lago Nero and Lago Bianco. From the Alp Grüm stop, you can see a wide view as far as the Puschlav valley in southern Grisons.
580 kilometers of hiking trails open the impressive mountain world up to the highest peaks in the eastern Alps, the Piz Palü and the Piz Bernina. They lead to attractive destinations such as the romantic wilderness of Val Roseg and the panoramic mountain Muottas Muragl, which offers a breathtaking view over the entire lake district. 400 kilometers of bike paths, a fixed rope park, two exciting Via Ferrata routes, a modern congress and cultural center and a lively new adventure pool complement the variety of scenic impressions.
Pontresina, the best of high alpine pleasures: Imposing peaks and glaciers surround this idyllic resort with its picturesque alleyways, making it a favourite base for ice-climbing, ski touring and snowshoeing. Cross-country skiers also like to stop by, as the famous marathon route virtually runs through the village. In addition, Pontresina is considered a stronghold of curling in Switzerland.
For families, the ski area of San Spiert offers varied slopes and a toboggan run, while Diavolezza presents a spectacular series of challenges. Switzerland’s longest glacier descent is found in the Diavolezza/Lagalb ski area. It runs on the moraines of the Pers and Morteratsch glaciers. With a gradient of 86%, Lagalb also has the steepest descent in Graubünden. Visitors looking for a romantic ambiance enjoy horse-drawn sleighrides through the snow-covered pine forests and in the Roseg Valley.
Magnificent glaciers and impressive Art Nouveau architecture create a unique backdrop for family holidays to remember in Pon- tresina. With 580 km of walking trails, 400 km of bike routes, an idyllic Alpine show dairy and the largest ibex colony in the Alps, there’s never a dull moment in this resort set against a spectacu- lar high Alpine backdrop.
- Diavolezza – panorama mountain with mountain restaurant at 3000 m, skiing area, high-altitude cross-country track, glacier walks and via ferrata climb.
- Rosegtal (Val Roseg) – car-free valley, delightful route for walking, biking or cross-country skiing, trips by horse-drawn carriage or sledge through beautiful larch woods to the Hotel Roseg Gletscher, fantastic view of the peaks and glaciers of the Bernina range.
- Bernina railway line – panoramic narrow-gauge route across the Bernina, the highest mountain railway pass in Europe, reaching 2253 m, into the Puschlav valley in south Grisons and over the Italian border into the Veltlin (Valtellina).
- Muottas Muragl – a funicular railway takes you up to the 2453 m peak for walking and panoramic views, between Samedan and Pontresina. Wonderful views over the lakes of the Upper Engadine.
- Alp Languard – the hiking paradise amidst the largest ibex colony in Switzerland. New: Via Ferrata Resgia. Chairlift and rustic mountain restaurant.
- Pontresina high-rope challenge course – various levels of difficulty ensure challenges for different levels of ability. The facility is suitable for children of 4 years of age and over, adults, families, clubs, schools and event groups – in short, for everyone who takes pleasure in the joy of exercise.
- Alp showcase Cheese Dairy Morteratsch – set on the idyllic Alp directly by the Morteratsch railway station, here you gain insight into the ancient art of cheese making and profit from as taste too!
- Bellavita Adventure Bath and Spa – bathing pleasures in the new Bellavita facility with outdoor pool and spa.
- Museum Alpin in Pontresina – all about the development of summer and winter tourism, hunting, wildlife and the environment, with collection of minerals.
- Terratrembel – Winter party with outstanding live music (February).
- Ice Climbing Festival Pontresina – clash of the ice climbing elite (February).
- Morning concerts with Camerata Pontresina – salon music in all its diversity (end of July until end of September).
- BSI Engadine Festival – classical music festival of the highest level (August).
- Swiss Iron Trail – hardest and highest one-stage trail race in the Alps (August).